Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen and Oven Thermometer 2012 G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: calibration of thermometers Reply with quote

twinbo wrote:
What liquid, as does water at 212, indicate a specific temperature in some manner?

This is actually pretty tricky. That's one of the reasons why I own multiple Thermapens (although it doesn't explain why I need as many as I have). When using another thermometer, I compare against a thermapen so see if it is calibrated (for example, for frying oil with a frying/candy thermometer). I double check the thermapens against each other once in a while to verify they are still calibrated (or at least in sync - I assume that if they do go out of calibration it is unlikely that they would all go out of calibration in exactly the same way and same amount, especially since they were all manufactured and calibrated by Thermoworks at different times). I understand that's not a reasonable solution for most people, but if you need accuracy, it might be worth getting one Thermapen as none of mine have gone out of calibration in any part of the range that I work with (32F to about 400F) regularly and it has been somewhere around 8 years since I got my first one.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises an interesting question which occured to me many years ago. I acquired some 6 or 7 mercury bulb thermometers at a garage sale and wanted to figure out which was the most accurate. So I stuck them in my mouth one by one and recorded each one's reading. Graphed the results and then picked the median. Chances are they could ALL be off, but I figured that was the best statistical approach without a reference point.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
Chances are they could ALL be off, but I figured that was the best statistical approach without a reference point.

Another way would be to take advantage of known temperatures of water at sea level... 32 F for ice water, 212 F for boiling water. Pour 6 oz of boiling water into a large measuring cup with 6 ounces of 10 oz of ice cold water (ice cubes removed!) and it should (briefly) be at 99.5F (probably a little less because boiling water cools rapidly). Use much larger quantities of both to give yourself a larger time window to use the thermometers before the water cools substantially.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's pretty clever! Didn't occur to me at all.
Antilope

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magzmom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: submission Reply with quote

Thank you for the offer.

I'd keep the spoils for myself, but share with many a guest to feast at my table.

This holiday season, we are making divinity. I cook all year on my big green egg.

Some other need always supplants the ability to purchase an adequate temperature gauge -- winter clothes, school supplies.

Came here today for a recipe that I've made for years. Thanks. Engineers are hawt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: