Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen and Oven Thermometer 2012 G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathymcl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Cooking thermometers Reply with quote

Would love to win a Thermapen!
pyamasaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Favorite article?!? Reply with quote

Admittedly, I'm relatively new to this site so I haven't seen a lot of it yet. But if I had to pick a favorite article (so far), it would be the one that led me to the site in the first place; A Google search for osso bucco led me to http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/200/Osso-Buco and THAT led me to everything else around here. I anticipate much time spent browsing the rest.
gamebear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Thermoworks-Thermapen-and-Oven-Thermometer-2012-Giveaway Reply with quote

I was led to your site by your review of Frontera Grill in Chicago! It's one of my favorite restaurants and I've never been disappointed with any of their dishes.

I also enjoy reading your recipes. The way you lay out the ingredients and steps is how I also do it. Your step by step photos and commentary are great, too.

Keep up the good work!
ajbruin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: favorite article Reply with quote

places to visit in Chicago was a big help.
homoscedasticity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: thermapen giveaway Reply with quote

Creamy garlic mashed potatoes, delicious!
S40440

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the site and I'm having fun checking it out. I see a great source for ideas!
dvchurch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Thermapen Giveaway Reply with quote

The recipe I keep coming back to is for Marshmallows. It was my first foray into candy making and my entire extended family can't wait for the holidays when I usually whip up a batch of them with peppermint extract and coat them in dark chocolate!
wesleyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite article is "An Introduction to Sous Vide Cooking". Really interesting! Had never heard of this before.
kingfisher9704

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite article is the recipe for mulled cider. YUM!
penny500mh@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Lime marinated grilled chicken Reply with quote

My husband made the lime marinated grilled chicken a few summers ago and we have made it many, many times since them. Straightforward, consistent, & delicious.
godaisan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Rataouille Reply with quote

Was fascinated after watching the movie, and i had to learn to make it. The recipe on this website I made for my parents and it was really simple and tasty.
begryphon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Favorite recipe: The way you post recipes Reply with quote

I am in love with the style CFE posts recipes: The ingredient list ordered by use and divided by 'Mix" for example.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your comments and entering the contest. All entries above this comment will be counted as submissions. Only the first entry for people who commented multiple times will be counted. I'll post the winner shortly.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: And the winner is... Reply with quote

midnitechef!

I pulled all 147 comments, removed mine, duplicates, and those where I did not have email addresses (the few guest posts where the user provided identifying information were included but the couple guest/anonymous posts without any information were excluded). The final tally was 136 entrants. I used random.org to generate a random number and it gave me 53 which equated to midnitechef (who was the 53rd qualifying post [and the 57th comment overall]).

Thanks everyone for participating - it was a lot of fun! I'm working on seeing if I can get one more giveaway to occur before the month is up through Anolon, so look for that.
twinbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: calibration of thermometers Reply with quote

My thermometers (several) became suspect. So, each was placed in the same bath of boiling water. Large variations were found. Each was calibrataed to 212 degrees. Then I heated some veg oil to 350 degrees as registered on one of the thermometers. At that temperature, the wide variation in the registered temp of each thermometer existed. (The tube thermometer did not agree with the others. So I'm uncertain of its accuracy.) So .... off to the local hardware shop that sells cooking equipment. Purchased three more. Same story. No agreement at 212, calibrated, and then no agreement at 350 degrees. Because of frying timing, the accuracy of the 350 degrees is more valuable. Because of candy making (sugar heating) around 240 degree accuracy would be valuable.

My question is: is there some home method for accurate calibration above 212 degrees. I could designate any of several thermometers to be used for specific tasks. Frying has become a real problem and making caramel is iffy.

What liquid, as does water at 212, indicate a specific temperature in some manner?

John W. Goodman
jwg2@cebridge.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: