Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Brown Sugar Stainless Steel Corrosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amherst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Dark Brown Sugar Stainless Steel Corrosion Reply with quote

Until today, I had been storing dark brown sugar in a stainless steel canister. Today I noticed several pin holes and corrosion on the bottom and some holes and corrosion on the sides. The canister is approx. 18 months old and one of a set. Others in the set are used to store various flours, regular cane sugar and powdered sugar. The canisters are all stored on the same wooden shelf and with the exception of the one used for the dark brown sugar, appear to be in good condition.
I'm puzzeled by the corrosion. It appears to have been caused by an acid like compound. Could sulfur dioxide possibly in the molasses used to make the dark brown sugar have combined with water and formed a mild acid? I had pieces of moist terracotta stuck into the sugar to keep it soft.
I've written the manufacturer but have not received a response as of yet.
Anyone with any ideas?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown sugar may contain unrefined sulfur compounds - add some humidity I reckon sulfuric acid is possible . . .
Amherst

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Stanless Steel Reply with quote

Dilbert,
Thank you for the reply. If I learn more, I will let you know.
Amherst, OH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum