Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Fruit Ripening
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cashelsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Pineapples Reply with quote

How do you "tear off the top" of a pineapple. Does that mean just remove the spikey green bits without cutting the skin. Don't think I'm able to do that with my bare hands ..?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just twist it off.
conand19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Peaches ripen after harvest Reply with quote

I live in a peach growing area. Peaches are picked green so that they don't bruise. They very definitely ripen and sweeten after picking or no one in this country would be eating peaches.
Larr5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: pinapple Reply with quote

I don't understand why many people think that pineapples do not ripen after picking.

maybe I live in an alternate universe,

but most of the pineapples at my local supermarkets are not ripe (hard, no sweet smell or taste). When they are at room temp for a few days they soften, smell and taste sweet=ripe (the leaves pull out easily when ripe
Other who live in the vicinity also experience the strange phenomena ripening picked pineapples but, there are no increase in UFO sightings hear.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineapples can be green or yellow when ripe. The do not increase in sweetness once picked. They do soften and change in smell, but their sweetness does not increase.
Ian in Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Postharvest reference Reply with quote

UC Davis' College of Agriculture has a great science-based Web site for postharvest ripening of fruit and produce:

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/libraries/Questions_and_Answers/
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Postharvest reference Reply with quote

Ian in Chicago wrote:
UC Davis' College of Agriculture has a great science-based Web site for postharvest ripening of fruit and produce:

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/libraries/Questions_and_Answers/

Ian, that is an incredible resource! Thank you for sharing it - I'll be spending many hours reading through all these Q&A's!
K4JC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Strawberries and pineapples do ripen after picking Reply with quote

I routinely find that pineapples do continue to ripen after picking--even store-bought ones, which is all we get here in Canada. I look for the most colourful, best-smelling one I can find, and within a few days it's ready.
Strawberries, if home-grown, will also ripen. I'll bet you're right when talking about store-bought ones: I only buy them if they're already ripe and ready to eat, otherwise they go from unripe to rotten and moldy in a day or two at most. But yesterday I accidentally picked a strawberry that wasn't quite as ripe as I'd thought. I placed it in the window and this morning it was just about ready to eat.
susan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: is wax on apples a problem? Reply with quote

Store-bought apples nowadays might be the right colour but they're so hard and not sweet. So I tried the leave in paper bag with banana method but no noticeable difference. Maybe I just don't leave them long enough. But MAYBE it's because the apples are waxed and therefore won't absorb the ethylene? Any thoughts? Maybe scrub the apples first?
Edgar Shen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Pineapple ripens after purchase! Reply with quote

Who said pineapple wouldn’t ripen after harvest has probably never experimented it.

This is a terrible misleading. Also, the reasoning of pineapples not ripening has no scientific proof.

We have tried different ways. The upside-down method has proven always work. We had cut it at various readiness. If you can call it an experiment, put a pineapple upside-down at a place you often pass by. As soon as you smell the pineapple specific aroma, it is ready. Don’t wait, it will be over-ripened soon.

It is sweet and tasty. Never fails.
LittleBread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: misleading Reply with quote

Terribly misleading information.
Pineapples DO ripen further and a lot.

I too apparently live in the magical land of Canada.

Upside down is a decent way because it prevent mold, but I usually leave it near a window and give it a quarter spin once a while.
You will know when it's ready... That quarter spin will just spread the smell all around!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most basic research shows all the commercial and educational resources state that pineapple does _not_ continue to ripen after picking.

one extensive resource is:
http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Commodity_Resources/Fact_Sheets/

briefly
(1) the sugar in a pineapple comes from the root of the plant; once cut no more sugar is 'converted' in the fruit proper.
(2) once cut, the pineapple begins to decay; the process of decay/rotting does make it softer.
(3) ease of pulling out leaves is not a sign of ripeness, it is indicative of the state of decay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: