Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reheating Fried Foods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reheating Fried Foods Reply with quote

Can you re-heat fried foods in the oven and still have them be crispy and not soggy?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reheating Fried Foods Reply with quote

Mario wrote:
Can you re-heat fried foods in the oven and still have them be crispy and not soggy?

Heh, due to the long lapse in time here, I figure the answer is no. I've never been able to do it.

However, reheating food can be dicey sometimes. Especially if you're reheating a nice beef roast that was rare or medium rare. Most people will pop that sucker in to the microwave and promptly ruin it. You can install it to a 300 degree oven with some moisture in the foil package. But so far, the best reheating method I've come across that not only warms your food gently, but it will keep it juicy nice. This would be one of those neat Asian bamboo steamers. Nice even, moist heat that doesn't destroy your meal.

Biggles
DuxIl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Bamboo Bambad Reply with quote

Ugh, bamboo steamers don't work well for fried foods unless you want limp goo.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo Bambad Reply with quote

DuxIl wrote:
Ugh, bamboo steamers don't work well for fried foods unless you want limp goo.

Yup, exactly what I said. Ya just can't do it.

The paragraph regarding bamboo steamers addressed reheating food, not fried food. I only mentioned it because it popped in to my mind at the time and know how some people like to reheat their tender beef roasts in the microwave.

Biggles
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reheating Fried Foods Reply with quote

Mario wrote:

Heh, I did it. I reheated fried foods and got a crispy skin on all pieces. Unfortunately, not everyone will be able to participate.

It was Sunday afternoon and I was not feeling hip to making dinner. My wife had been craving Popeye's chicken for a long time. I finally gave in and picked up way too much. Directly after the meal, she individually wrapped each piece in foil, then baggy and froze them.

Cold fried chicken is the best, but not usually fast food fried chicken. Too much nasty grease. So, I decided to reheat. I preheated my Farberware convection oven to 375. Got a cookie sheet, lined with foil and put a wire rack down. This way the hot air can move easily from top to bottom. Boiling fried chicken in it's own grease just doesn't sound right.
The pieces ended up being about 3/4" apart from each other as I put them in to the oven on the center rack. Once in, I turned it down to 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Wings were crunchy. Thighs also had a snap and the breast needed another 7 minutes or so.
Sure it was just popeye's chicken, but the reheat rendered me crispy skin.

Biggles
JohnLocke809

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Clone him Reply with quote

DuxIl wrote:
Ugh, bamboo steamers

Oh ye, we all wanna be just like you...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reheat stuff in my toaster oven all the time. Pizza comes out better the second time around and reheating left over french fries this way crisps them again, a bit.
Curious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reheating fried foods Reply with quote

Microwave? Yuck, moist and gooey
Steamer? You're kidding, right?
If you want crispy reheated fried foods, heat them on a low heat (200-250 degrees) in a small toaster oven for 15-25 minutes (long enough to warm through depending on thickness)
Don't wrap them in anything that just keeps the moisture in
If you have one of those fancy convection toaster ovens then even better, it keeps the air moving and draws the moisture off
If you need to do a last minute crisp, turn on the broiler but keep an eye on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum