Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Chef's Knives Rated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkorff

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Ergo Chef Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with Ergo Chef Knives. They have a slanted handle with respect to the blade, not straight like most knives. They seem to have a sharp edge and performs well with the tests as described in your study.
NotachefZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Prejudices prejudices.. tsk tsk tsk.. Reply with quote

Before you diss "what you buy at walmart" too much.. I got this Dec 2008. (I didn't really know knives, but knew enough that you get what you pay for, and that germans make good stuff) These knives felt like real knives, the kind of feel that gives you that sense of precision (that only an engineer understands) and the heft and reassurance that this will do the self-defense job should an intruder in your house surprise you (that only a solider understands). The fillet knife for meat, cutting things with strengh, the santoku for veggies/fine-cuts.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Henckels-12-pc-Cutlery-Set/10670275

Professional S Smile I wish I knew about knives what I learned in the last 3 days when I left these behind in the divorce settlement...

Am now in Europe, I'd buy these for this price in a heartbeat. On a related note, why is it so hard to find places that sell stuff in Europe? (I'm in the EU capital). Henckels website is so crap (epic frustration in finding a local place where i can actually hold their different lines in hand, the first 3 places I checked that were provided by their website as the local dealers do not actually carry henckel stuff), I am about to look at other manufacturer's hoping for some what of a better service experience. On the other hand... their stuff must be good if it sells this well even with a crappy service Wink

Btw, best advice in this thread so far (I am about halfway thru) is the one from the user with the Japanese retired chef step-mother. It convinced me to find a store and hold things before deciding on a brand. Domo arigato.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. does not seem too hard to find - any of these nearby?

Code:

BRICOJOB / Hobby Center Multibois S.A.    Ch de St. Job 594-598

1180 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-3746909
www.bricojob.be

COUTELLERIE DU ROI    Passage du Nord 27

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-217 54 94

Coutellerie Jamart    Rue de l'hopital 7

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-512 49 62

COUTINOX    Rue Gustave Gilson, 140

1090 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-640 30 28
www.coutinox.be

Espace Buss-Jadoul    Chaussée de Charleroi, 18

1060 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02 538 14 45
www.bussjadoul.be

Espace SPRL S.L. Louis    Chausse d'Ixelles 154

1050 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-511 48 75

INNO BRUXELLES    111- 123, Rue Neuve

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-211 21 11
www.inno.be

INNO UCCLE    10, Rue de la Bascule

1180 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-345 38 90
www.inno.be

INTERNATIONAL HOME OF COOKING    Leopoldstraat 3

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-218 81 20
www.homeofcooking.com

Maison Tilquin    Galerie de la Reine 9

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-512 76 63
www.tilquin.be

METRO Cash&Carry Brussel    Werkhuizenkaai, 22/23

1000 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02-611 74 00
www.makro.be

MMMMH SPRL    Chaussé de Charleroi 92

1060 Bruxelles    Tel.: 02.534 23 40
www.mmmmh.be

SPRL HERCULE.W.COM / LE PIANO    Rue de L'ermitage 50 B7

1050 Bruxelles    Tel.: 0495-45 22 23
NotachefZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

And therein lies the problem. Its easy to get a list form Henkels' website. It is just utter crap. The first three I looked at on that list provided by Henckels, do not actually sell Henkels.

Look through all of the websites. One doesn't work a all, one is the equivalent of Home&Hardware, one is the equivalent of Costco (doesnt have Henckels, or any premium brand knives, I've been there), one is sort of like a fancy Target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: