Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Low-Temp Crock Pot Hack Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Perry-Walker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Very Low-Temp Crock Pot Hack Suggestions Reply with quote

Greetings all,
I am looking to turn an old crock pot into a thermophilic yogurt incubator and am looking for technical advice. I have found a fair bit of information (much of it here) about crock pots, pid controllers and sous vide and it seems promising but I need lower temperatures then what most of the sous vide cookers are aiming for.

My question; could a crock pot with a pid controller or rheostat keep a water bath at a consistent 108f-112f? And if so how would you recommend building it? If not do you have any alternative recommendations?
I am a bit of scrub when it comes to electrical engineering but I am follow instructions fairly well. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the slow cooker will maintain any temp above ambient as can be set within the range of the controller.

that's the point of a controller.

forget the rheostat.
Mr. Perry-Walker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any insight on how to choose a specific controller...Amazon has quite a few in the $20-$35 range. Also when I do get the controller do I bypass the on low high switch on crock pot?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regrets can no make specific recommendations on controllers.

yogurt culture temp is seriously lower than what slow cookers do, so I'd guess you could just set it on "high" and not have to fool with bypassing internal circuitry.

I may have been a bit overly-rash on the rheostat idea - it would serve to cut down the voltage thus producing "less intense" heat (think hot spots) but for a longer 'on' time.

one can buy a ready made yogurt maker for $40 or less - probably a whole lot less in the yard sale environment.

creates a curiosity as whether this is a needed thing or an interesting exercise, eh?
Mr. Perry-Walker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to deny my silly fascination with building overly complicated do-nothing machines but with this one there is a bit more purpose. I have two yogurt makers right now, one older and one newer, and neither one will get above 90f, which I find irritating and makes other commercially available yogurt makers suspect. Large batch yogurt makers tend to be more expensive. I have also been considering dabbling in other ferment and cultured food stuffs and having a flexible incubator do-dad around seems useful going into the future. I do not know whether that counts as need in a hierarchical sense but it seems worth doing.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee-hee. I cast nothing negative - heaven knows I've chased many an eh,,, errr, ahhh, "interesting" thing. and....yeah way past any 'economic' justification.

for large batches I'd be tempted to go to a "temperature controlled chamber" - been there with gardening/seed germinating. I see your point, the 'home' yogurt stuff is primarily focused on a couple itty-bity containers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum