Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool Whip vs. Whipped Cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chef Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Cool Whip vs. Whipped Cream Reply with quote

Understanding that Cool Whip is a substitute for the real thing! Whipped Cream that is, I am wondering if all the Quick dessert recipes that have been created over the years are adaptable in reverse. Could we have equal success using Real Homemade Whipped Cream in place of the scientifically created Cool Whip in the recipes touted by Kraft? Anyone have any experience in this?

:? [/url]
melva02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Maybe Reply with quote

I think some recipes could be adapted, like folding a fruit sauce into whipped cream. Whipped cream has no stabilizers, so it wouldn't stand up to hard beating or long storage. You could control the thickness and sweetness, so I think it would work in many recipes where it's in topping or pie filling form. Remember to fold gently with a spatula to avoid deflating it. Let us know how it turns out.
DuxIl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Whip It, Whip It good! Reply with quote

Actually, one of the best ways to make whipped cream more stable and have a longer shelf life, etc., is by adding Dr. Oetker's Whip It! (no pun!) to the cream as you are whipping it. No change in taste, but it does hold up better. Canadians and Germans are much more familiar with the good Doktor's products than Americans... in the U.S. you need to search high and low in specialty stores for his products.

After adding the precious stuff to whipped cream and thus stabilizing it, I have found that many Cool Whip recipes do work surprisingly well in reverse and with much better flavor-outcomes... http://www.oetker.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/oetker.woa/wa/page?focus=CA&option=prd_313&destination=page_36
ktexp2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Oetker's Whip It! in Tops and Wegman's, but these are primarily Western New York stores, so I'm not sure how widespread they are. He makes a good mousse mix!
Mrs Tea Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: cool whip/stabilized whipped cream Reply with quote

If you do a search on many food recipe sites for "stabilized whipped cream" you can find many recipes that use unflavored gelatin to stabilize your whipped cream. Im always concerned about box mixes with ingredients I cant pronounce (i have not seen the doctors box so I dont know the ingredients of Whip-It)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum