Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineers Meatloaf

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srhcb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Engineers Meatloaf Reply with quote

ENGINEERS MEATLOAF

1 lb Ground Beef (20% fat)
1/2 lb Ground Pork (at least 20% fat)(I save trimmings from chops, short ribs etc)
1 Cup Fresh Bread Crumbs
1 Egg
1 Small Carrot
1 Small Stalk Celery
1/2 Small Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1/4 Cup Milk (more or less)
1-2 tsp Salt (to taste)
Ground Pepper (to taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
1-2 drop Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)

Chop Carrot, Celery, Onion and Garlic in Food Processor
Combine Vegetables with Egg, Salt and Pepper in Large Bowl (add options if desired)
Stir in Bread Crumbs
Add Ground Beef and Pork
Add just enough Milk to bring mixture together
Mix all ingredients together gently. Do Not Squish with Hands!
Shape Meatloaf by rolling mixture back and forth between Hands into small football shape approximately 7” x 3.5” x 2”
Drop Meatloaf gently on to Baking Pan

{The Mixing and Shaping are critical. In order to achieve the desired texture, (a Meatloaf that cooks evenly through, allows fat and water to drain, and holds it’s shape when sliced), the correct amount of air must remain in the mixture. In concrete construction this is known as controlling “slump”, which is a component of the principle of “mass wasting”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_wasting }

Place in Oven pre-heated to 450 and immediately turn temp down to 350

{Optional Glaze - From Alton Brown’s Good Eats Meat Loaf

1/2 Cup Catsup
1 Tbl Ground Cumin
Dash Worcestershire Sauce
Dash Hot Pepper Sauce
1 Tbl Honey

Mix Ingredients together and brush on Meatloaf after it’s been cooking for 10 minutes}

Cook for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let Meatloaf rest 10 minutes before cutting.

Yields eight 3/4” slices plus two ends (the best part!)

Serve as is, slice cold for sandwiches, or reheat by slicing and sauteing.
DevilDuster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Devil Dust Reply with quote

This sounds good, but try substituting Devil Dust (made by Waddy Spice Traders) for the Hot Pepper sauce. It a finely crushed blend of hot peppers that can be added both during cooking (to achieve a mild level of heat - that all at the table can stand), but can also be added at the table by those individuals who prefer things "the hotter, the better"!

It is also great on eggs or sprinkled on grilled veggies.
Use it anywhere that you would use salt.
sauceplate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: moist meatloaf Reply with quote

For a meatloaf that stays moist, a 80% meat to 20% fat ratio is the generally accepted formula.

Some cooks use 30% fat, but there is a fine line between juicy and greasy. This is the reason most cooks choose ground chuck, since it has this ideal fat to meat proportion.

By adding finely diced or puréed aromatic vegetables to your mixture, you are adding additional moisture into the meatloaf. Not only does this make your final product juicier, but it also adds lots of extra flavour.

If fact, you can add bacon and eggs to the recipe to give it a breakfast taste.
trevorbussies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the carrot may over-complicate this recipe- although I'm definitely going to try it. Adding bacon & eggs is just craziness! Should I beat the eggs & add just as I would to lasagna?
caviarstar2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I have prepared and the link you provide is also good one.
ChristinaLogan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Meaty Delight! Reply with quote

The recipe is something new for me because I am used to converting meat loaf into some other ingredients. But with the recipe, steamed meat loaf resulted. Great combination. Healthy as well.
mtbinary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrots in meatloaf? Outrageous! (going to try it though!) I'll tell the kids it is a special kind of cheese...
yocona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtbinary wrote:
Carrots in meatloaf? Outrageous! (going to try it though!) I'll tell the kids it is a special kind of cheese...

The key is to grind them (and the other vegetables) until fairly fine. They aren't really noticeable in the finished product this way, and they add a nice texture. If they aren't ground finely, I find the meatloaf doesn't hold together as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum