Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disciplining a Brat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Disciplining a Brat Reply with quote

Disciplining a Brat

bratwurst and kin can be frustrating undisciplined when it comes to grilling. depending on how they were made, packed - single links or in spiral link, natural casing or synthetic - they like to curl up like rolly-polly bugs. makes the creation of a reasonable even crust/color/pretty dang difficult.

once upon a day, an idea hit me. so this is my method of madness for keeping brats in line. works with pretty much any other type of link sausage as well.... note: this may not be anything original to me. it's a fair bet somebody has already invented this wheel.....

first, let them warm a bit and convert them from square sausages into round sausages. for reasons unexplained, supermarkets like to smash them flat&square before they put them out.

stab the brat down the length with a wooden/bamboo skewer. skewers come in various lengths, and a little bit of break-it-in-half works too. to use the broke off chunk for the next brat, put a semi-point on it with a sharp knife. sigh, no point, no work too good.....

these I'm doing indoors, in a pan. hence I've broken a too long skewer as short as possible so as not to interfere with pan action.

if you're going to do them on a gas/charcoal grill, leave 2-3 inches on the ends (or at least one end) so you have a built in "schquewer schpitt handhold..." - no tongs required . . .

pull out the skewers, perfectly straight brats. okay okay, nearly perfectly straight....
to accommodate that pesky sister-in-law, have a dollop of mustard at the ready to conceal any obvious holes in the ends . . . .

cook/grill as desired. for the eagle eye types, yup - these are under cooked. you can see some pink left in the middle. I cook these near done, then freeze, then microwave on crave-demand. for done&ready-to-eat, these would take another 5-7 minutes in the pan, less on the grill.

my microwave re-heat for brats is
- one minute at low power
- one minute rest
- one minute at next up power step
- one minute rest
- zap on high until you can hear them sizzle - keep your ear next to the microwave..... typically less than 30 seconds.

from frozen in my microwave, it's 20% power - then 30% power - then 100%
microwaves vary - your power settings and time will vary.
the rest period are important. heat does not move quickly thru fatty meats. lacking patience, you'll get severely dried up / shrunken brats.....
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I saw the headline and was going to suggest just that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum