Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone ever heard for Scallops curing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pectin232

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Has anyone ever heard for Scallops curing? Reply with quote

My son got back from Japan and bought some snacks.... one of them being like Scallops... they are not fresh but vacuum sealed but it was so tasty like those asian cuttle fish. Any ideas on how can I do it myself? Thanks
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure I understand the question, however irradiation is approved for more foodstuffs in "other" countries than in USA.

the product is typically sealed in a pouch, then irradiated to kill off any nasties/pathogens.

"doing it at home" is likely not an option.

all of which does not point to "and exactly what was in the pouch?" as I wouldn't particularly consider scallops 'right out of the bag' as a "snack"
pectin232

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This item has been selling in Japan, Kyoto, Sapporo, Tokyo and many parts of Japan including Taiwan, China, Hongkong for many years as far as I recall for over 30-35 yrs at least. I was wondering if those vacuum pack semi dried seafood are factory done or individual. They surely taste good...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are dried scallops that have been sweetened, right? If it is what I think it is, then it's pretty much just seasoned and then dehydrated scallops - a seafood based jerky. You can probably do it at home by setting your oven to it's lowest setting (usually 170F) and baking it for an extended period of time (tossing them occasionally so they don't stick to the pan or rack).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beloved they are not dehydrated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum