Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tempura batter and technique

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Tempura batter and technique Reply with quote

Okay, I'll confess -- I eat frozen food sometimes. Safeway has this Orange-Peel Chicken I just love and I tried recreating the recipe last night with limited success.

It's basically just tempura chicken pieces smothered in an orange-peel sauce, with a bit of chili and green onion. Sauce came out fine, but the chicken didn't.

So instead of looking up the recipe, I thought I'd hit you guys up for a tempura batter recipe and technique. Lazy, I know, but the discussion is fun.

I threw together
2/3 cup AP flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (or so)
1 tsp baking powder.

I dusted the bite-sized pieces of raw chicken breast in flour, then quickly dragged them through the batter and put in a frypan 1 inch deep with hot oil. They fried up fine. But the batter was lousy. Not fluffy, and not enough of it.

I learned that you dust and batter in one step, or the batter doesn't adhere. Each batch is done separately.

I learned (well, I knew it all along) that to properly fry one needs HOT oil, and you don't overcrowd the pan or the oil temp drops too much. BTW, this means that the chicken and batter were at room temp, too.

Come to think of it, I have trouble with fritters (corn, apple), too.

Any suggestions? Is there a fundamental mistake I'm making somewhere in the process?

Jim
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure one could count the number of tempura batter recipes . . .

cornstarch is often used
rice flour is another twist
a trick often mentioned is ice cold water - milk is a new one on me
or ice cold beer....
tonic water is another fizzy I've read
some folk only use the egg yolk - others use frothed egg white to lighten

I guess ya' gotta play around until you find one that you like.

the dredge in flour / shake is spot on - if the item has a wet surface, the batter just slides off.

thickness of the cooked batter I find is usually a function of the batter viscosity - which can be over and can be under 'done' - (don't ask....)

I do a beer battered butterfly shrimp dish - it's a family fav. the original recipe dates to the mid-70's from The Frugal Gourmet tv show.

curiously, that and multiple similar recipes call for using flat beer - well, I like it better with freshly opened beer - I think the carbonation adds to the fluff.

I like the whipped egg white approach especially for fish dishes.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! I'm wondering if it's the milk? I always use whole milk, and maybe the fat coats the flour particles or something?

I'll try beer or water next time.

I'm a big fan of egg whites, too. My waffles come out especially good, and I think that's the reason.

I bet it's the milk -- the fat in the milk. That would explain why my fritters don't turn out so good, either. I use beaten egg whites in them, too.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum