Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerala and its Backwaters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Kerala and its Backwaters Reply with quote

Kerala is very well known for the beauty of its backwaters. Many tourists visit Kerala mainly for the ravishing experience on the houseboats in the backwaters.

One of the famous backwaters in fascinating coastal region of Kerala backwater trip is Kuttanad backwaters. Kuttanad is also known as the ‘Rice bowl of Kerala’ due to the rich harvest of rice in the area. The climate here supports rice plantations and underwater farming is very conducive to rice cultivation. This is the only place where farming is done below sea level i.e. about 1.5 to 2 meters below sea level. It is also known for its cultivation of bananas, yams and cassava. Kuttanad is flanked by the sea on one side and the hills on the other side and stretches across a distance of 75 km. The best experience here is to sail lazily on a vast stretch of silver sheet of water in a houseboat and enjoying nature’s beauty sitting on its deck.

The other place famous for its backwaters is Kottayam. Kottayam is well known as the land of three Ls – Lakes, Latex and Letters. The place is interconnected with a large number of inland canals, streams and placid lakes flowing in their full youth. Kottayam offers beautiful sceneries that are decked with vast rubber plantations. The backwaters make it a home to fertile crops and transport links. The famous Vembanad lake is the greatest attraction of Kottayam. It also has many beautiful churches like St. Mary’s Church, St. Joseph’s Monastry etc. Ettumanoor Shiva temple and Thirunakkara Mahadeva temple are also famous spots.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerala is very near and dear to my heart, but I've taken out the link to your travel company.

If you'd like to discuss Kerala cuisine, be my guest! I have some good recipes to share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum