Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
votermom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: mascarpone substitute Reply with quote

I'm going to try this this week.
I can't find mascarpone, so I will use what Joy of Cooking says can substitute:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
Stir together until smooth

I am not quite sure if that will add up to a pound of faux-carpone or not?

PS Dang confirmation code makes me go through the alphabet song ...
Anon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Simple Tiramisu Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that I originally found this recipe a few years ago, looking for a tiramisu recipe safe for a pregnant friend. Since then, I've made it a half-dozen times, and have gotten raves every time. Thanks!
petroskar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a slightly different the cream whipping the cream to soft peaks instead of hard peaks, instead of brandy i use marsala wine (authentic recipe) and serve in a glass or cappuccino cup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the recipy.....This is the best one....got grt compliments for this.....All thanks to this recipy.....Also the Tiramisu was amazing.....Mind Boggling....Cheers!
Keep posting good recipes!!! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: what can i use other than alchohol Reply with quote

other than alchohol what other thing i can use......
Sadaf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Using Marsala wine Reply with quote

I made tiramisu many time and I foun the most authentic touch is when u add a lil Marsala wine into the mascarpone to soften and adhere to its richness and flavor.

Make one version with marsala and one without and u would know the difference.

Be liberal with the wine as its not that potent.

I would add about 1/4 cup to 1 cup of mascarpone.

Note - in a warmed cheese this would quickly get runny.
You should leave the mascarpone in a chilled section of the fridge to acheive adding the wine and not have it runny.

Eitherways Tiramisu gets any and everyone in a good mood. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that you can use orange juice instead of alcohol. Is that right? Smile
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>without alcohol

at the simplest level, tiramisu is a cake thingie spread / saturated with good tasting gooey stuff.

variations on the theme abound - I've done it with pound cake that's gone a little stale - a crisp lady finger is more traditional.

the flavorings are defined by tradition as well - it's been done without the coffee, topped with nuts vs. chocolate, you name it, it's probably been done.

as a technical point, the further afield from 'the traditional recipe' one goes, the less 'authentic' it is under the tiramisu "name" - but what the heck, if it tastes good, call it anything you'd like!
Lwaters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Yum Yum Yum Reply with quote

Made this recipe a couple of times now, and am planning on making it again tonight for a work party tomorrow. Best tiramisu recipe yet! easy and yummy!
I was not a fan of using raw eggs as the original tiramisu recipes need, so I was thrilled to find this recipe online a couple of years ago.

The changes: I only make 2 changes: Don't like or have brandy, so I use Kahlua instead. And I always double the recipe and it fits perfectly in my lasagna pan (13x9).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Tiramisu Reply with quote

Tried this today, my husband loved it and so did I. Very easy and no raw eggs!!! Yippie!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Vsauce sent me Reply with quote

Vsauce sent me Cool this is such a great recipe and a fantastic website !!
Don Steffano

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: From an engineer to the other ... Reply with quote

... THANK YOU !!!
anjali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i use regular cream cheese instead of mascapone cheese????
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anjali wrote:
can i use regular cream cheese instead of mascapone cheese????

You can, but it will taste significantly different. I assume by regular cream cheese you mean Philadelphia brand cream cheese or an product designed to mimic Philadelphia brand's flavor profile. If so, your tiramisu will have an added tartness that you may or may not like depending on your preferences.
Anders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd say that your format of directions is really intuitive. Maybe it's just because I'm an engineer though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: