Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Yummy Reply with quote

This was a fantastic and easy recipe! I have always loved tiramisu and was under the mistaken impression that it was difficult to make. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: re: how to find ingredients Reply with quote

Most grocery stores I know carry marscapone, but this may be because I live in a big city. Are you looking in the right place? Most grocery stores seem to place the basic American dairy products (cheddar, cream cheese, American-style ricotta, etc.), in one case, and have the "gourmet" cheeses in another area of the store. You'll probably find the marscapone wherever you'd find the brie, fresh mozarella, etc.
Nevertheless, the best place to buy marscapone is Trader Joe's. My local grocery store (QFC) carries marscapone, but it's almost $5 for an 8oz container. I just bought marscapone at Trader Joe's today and the exact same brand (Bel Giosio) was $2.59.

Hope this helps!
Tiffany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Ingredients Reply with quote

Is it necessary to include rum and expresso in this recipe? I'm not sure if I can get a hold of these ingredients and was wondering if the quality of the tiramisu would be much different if these ingredients were not included.
BigCountry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ingredients Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it necessary to include rum and expresso in this recipe? I'm not sure if I can get a hold of these ingredients and was wondering if the quality of the tiramisu would be much different if these ingredients were not included.

Espresso is fairly easy to come by, even the canned double shot espresso from Starbucks in most supermarkets should work if you can't get fresh brewed.

As to the rum, rum is probably one of the most produced liquors out there. Should be easy to find many types in a supermarket. Personally when I made this recipe last week I used Godiva Chocolate Liqueur instead of rum. Came out fantastic.

Oh and thank you Mr. Michael Chu for preparing this recipe. It was my first time making Tiramisu and I used your recipe and modified about 3 things of my own and it came out great. My modifications were: Madeleine cookies instead of ladyfingers, fresh brewed starbucks espresso to dip the cookies in, and Godiva Chocolate liqueur. Everything else I followed your recipe for, except I only used the cocoa powder on the top layer, and not in the middle.

Thanks again for the recipe, was quite tasty at the party and everyone loved it.
Rammy M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: my 1st try Reply with quote

I had looked up a number of tiramisu recipes before creating my own simplified version.

I could only find expensive marscapone, so instead I used instant vanilla pudding (made with milk, as per instructions) plus a container of whipped cream cheese (stirred into the pudding mixture). Also, since I had coffee liquer, I used that to dip the lady-fingers into. I layered the above ingredients (was out of cocoa) and shaved chocolate on top.

Simple and delicious, but since it wasn't the "official" way, and since my name is "Rammy" (rhymes with Tommy), I called it ti-Rammy-su. ;-)

I subsequently found your wonderful page, with the easier to follow instructions (vs other sites), I will soon try again following a this more traditional recipe.
snowman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Recipe Card Format Reply with quote

Hi Michael
Thanks for a cool and practical website!
I find your screen formatting for the recipe card great. I like how the connectors (lines) morf with the window size. However, If I'm going to bring up the recipe card, it's going to be to print out on a 3x5 card (or whatever the larger size is). The only way I can get the recipe card to print with the screen formatting is to screen copy (or window copy), paste into a photo program, crop and print. Printing, select/copy/pasting or select/copy/printing selection from the browser all lose the connectors and print only text.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Recipe Card Format Reply with quote

snowman wrote:
The only way I can get the recipe card to print with the screen formatting is to screen copy (or window copy), paste into a photo program, crop and print. Printing, select/copy/pasting or select/copy/printing selection from the browser all lose the connectors and print only text.

There is currently a problem with the printing of the recipe card. I am working to fix this problem. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Updated: Aug. 8, 2007 - Thanks to reader Isaac L., the error has been found and corrected. You can now print the recipe cards with the formating intact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Ingredients Reply with quote

Thank you for this wonderful site.
I found marscapone to be rather expensive here in the Kansas City area
so used the substitute which is cream cheese and whipped cream.
It is difficult blending the cream cheese to obtain a creamy consistency
(ie: to remove the lumps) therefore when you use the marscapone
substitute recipe use the whipped cream cheese product which will blend
more readily with the whipped cream.
Another point, it is easy to introduce too much liquid into the recipe when
you soak the lady fingers in the coffee. A work around may be to sprinkle
the dry coffee granules on the lady fingers, instead of dipping them.
glorybr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

My mom and I were looking for tiramisu recipes and we found your explanation to be fantastic. We plan on doing it as soon as possible, ans we'll also try out some of your other recipes Smile
Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Horay! Reply with quote

I drunkenly promised a friend I would make Tiramisu for a Itallian pot-luck she was throwing the next day. Thanks to you, I whipped one up and now everyone is wanting more. Kudos kudos kudos to you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful
thank you
love it
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your simple yet beautiful Tiramisu recipe! I tried it. Couldn't find the mascarpone cheese though, so I used cream cheese and a little whole milk instead. It turned out just fine. Now my hubby wants more. Never seen him so desiring a dessert. Smile
Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: thank you for tiramisu! Reply with quote

This is the simplest tiramisu recipe! It's also very delicious. I've done it many times now, and it comes out every time perfect!!! Thank you!
tammy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: tiraminsu recipe Reply with quote

I made the tiramisu y'day and it was delicious. The only negative was that I bought the wrong kind of lady fingers (too thin) and they got too soggy with the coffee. Thanks for the recipe -- awesome
Sheetal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Ingredients Search!! Reply with quote

Hi,
I read the recipe and am bit too excited to make it..but 2 major ingredients i.e. Mascarpone cheese and lady fingers are not readily available in Indian markets.. can i use cream cheese instead??..and any subsitute for lady fingers?
Would be glad if you could solve my querry. Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: