Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tiramisu when I was in Italy and I loved it, I had been wondering what it took to make it and now I see it's much simpler than I could have thought, great site, great job, keep up the good work

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a *new* requirement straight from the stakeholders:

Enable dropdowns of alternatives for each recipe ingredient, and have the encapsulating actions adjust according to the user's selection based on user defined business rules (yes, you must write an interface for defining business rules that people wicked into cooking can learn AND OF COURSE you will implement all the default rules necessary to support three permutations per ingredient (yes, I want to see a report in two days on the system requirements for this endeavor which takes into account the speed in which the average browser can dynamically generate intricately cssed dropdown boxes) using javascript to manipulate your DOM (yes, consistent "cross browser javascripting" is possible).

We need this right away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found your web site from /. and wanted to say that it looks good in Firefox 0.8. Keep up the good work Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That table recipe format is really easy to follow! I like it.
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the ingredients listings of recipes don't belong to anybody per se (at least that's my understanding). The instructions detailing what to do with me can however ... and it seems unlikely that anyone else has ever thought to present recipes this way. As an engineer myself, I love it!

I'm using Safari, and things look fine to me - maybe there's some extra fancy stuff going on if you use a different browser, but everything's nice and clear.

Hello Michael,

I was quite impressed with your site and called my wife down for a quick look. She said it was very good and geeky looking. I said I'm not a geek but I can follow those recipes. (maybe just a little)
I'm also in the programming industry, enjoy cooking but have a hard time following recipe books for some reason. I find myself reading and re-reading recipes while cooking because they are not written in a logical step by step sequence. Your recipe format seems inherently very well structured in a manner that makes it easy to step through the process and not get lost doing so.

Keep the great ideas flowing,
Wayne

ps. Enjoyed your freezing article. Would enjoy reading more of these types of informational articles if you thinking about writing others. Its interesting to get the technical side of why we should or shouldn't be doing something in a certain way.
anna.

excellent site! the only thing i dislike is the fact that you only have a few months worth of recipes. i would love to browse all night... thank you. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double (heavy) cream alone works as a well as mascarpone (and egg in the traditional way), imo, perhaps better and saves time, cost and effort. As mentioned above, amaretto is mixed with express/coffee and the biscuits are dipped - it's quite important that they have a little crunch. I agree with the other comment about no chocolate.

Btw, I heard from a normally reliable source that this isn't an Italian dish but was invented in a Geneva restaurant about 30-40 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a large part of the world that doesn't use American recipe measures. Some of us use those screwy metric kilogram and litre things, some of us use those screwy imperial pints (a pint is 20oz NOT 16oz).

Can you include metric measures in your recipes?

How about some automation, so I get a browser cookie set that says, "screwy european, give him metric stuff" and if I view a recipe it's automagically converted.

We also measure oven temperatures in celcius, not fahrenheit. The British even have a thing called "gas mark" for gas oven temps.

Your recipe overview (cheat sheet) is an excellent design. Your site looks good viewed in OmniWeb5. Hope the next dish you cook is yummmmy!

You can find a picture here:

http://www.dessert.it/

Tiramisł in the picture on the left side, with number 2.

In Italy Tiramisł means "pick me up", maybe because of the high energetic content (eggs, mascarpone, coffee).

I am one of the many people directed here from /. I just looked at the first recipe I could find, this one, and by god I must say that this sight is pure genious. I don't know if this recipe is any good, allthough I believe so as it sounds very similar to one I have tried. However it is not the recipe itself I am applauding, it's the layout of the ingredient list coupled with short direct instructions. This is the first time I see it applied to recipies and it is pure genious. From now on this will be my source for recipies . Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I wrote "sight" instead of site in my previous post. Too tired, too lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the receipe:

Note that tiramisu is often made with stale layfingers, which in my opinion enhances the dish in a most pleasing way.

Bakeries (like the one I used to work at) and most well run kitchens have many uses for foods that can't be sold in their condition (staleness, etc.). Stale bread makes a lovely bread pudding, and if that's too sweet for you, bake it again and grind it up for breadcrumbs.

Also, anyone looking at this site would probably enjoy
"The New Professional Chef", from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). It's a cooking textbook with scores of useful information about selecting quality equipment, cooking techinques, determining freshness of materials, understanding sauce making, and much more. Being a textbook, most engineers should digest it rapidly.

I can't really say enough about this book. It has a few recepies in it, but not many. It's a book on how to improve cooking skill and understand the basic (and not so basic) cooking principles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: