Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: RECIPE PROGRAM Reply with quote

to whomever wrote the recipe as a program in 2005. I am exceedingly impressed. I am going to think about this for days. Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this be made as a trifle?
Mjames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a little spray bottle to dampen the ladyfingers with brandy or whatever liquor I am using; same with the espresso. Less soggy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: simple and lovely Reply with quote

I have made it twice and gotten raves and reviews. I know not using Expresso is not going to be kosher for some people but Most people who do not like Tiramisu would sight the bitter taste of the coffee. I dip mine for a fraction af a second. Tip I learnt from another chef is to put enough coffee in a deep plate or shallow dish that would allow only half of the lady fingers to be covered (add more as it is depleted). I dip, flip then dip the other side and remove and put in the dish.

Soggy Tiramisu is not cool!!!

I like the methodology used to put the recipe together, truly written up by an engineer Smile.

Junior
Taya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Love this dessert. Reply with quote

I want to say thanks for this tiramisu recipe, I've been coming back to it for years. It's my go-to Christmas dessert, I love that I can make it ahead of time, freeze it, then take it with me on the day. By lunchtime it's generally defrosted perfectly, and I always get compliments about it. Cheers, T.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing recipe! It makes it look truly to easy and simple to follow! I am going to try this one next. Thank you and please don't stop posting! Smile
actualenginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: meh- Reply with quote

Are we not engineers? Is this site not "Cooking for Engineers"? So why "simplify" an already simple dessert? While America's Test Kitchen has it's problems, they do have a good step-by-step recipe which shows how to properly soak the ladyfingers. And best of all, their recipe doesn't omit the yolks!

If someone served me the pictured Tiramisu, I would appreciate the effort, but be very disappointed with the dessert.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: meh- Reply with quote

actualenginner wrote:
If someone served me the pictured Tiramisu, I would appreciate the effort, but be very disappointed with the dessert.

Did you even try the recipe? I know it seems odd, but it really does taste good and has won several small time cooking / baking contests. If you really don't want to try this alternative recipe, then we do have a more traditional one that starts with making the zabaglione: Classic Tiramisu recipe
Ridz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Tiramisu individual cups Reply with quote

Hi, Lot of interesting posts. I am not sure if anyone if u still chking this site last post was in 2014.. I will ask my question anyways.... I am making individual cups of tiramisu for 50 people.. And i an not able to find Ladyfinger..
Can I bake my own Vanilla bean cake with angle food cake box mix?? Or will it be too soft for this after dipping in coffee..
Also i do like the Idea if not using raw eggs.. I will try mixing ricotta,mascarpone and heavy cream(whipped)..

This is my first time making tiramisu i hope it trurns out good 😕😕

Any suggestions??
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 'substitute' recommendations of 'any sponge cake' - but personally that has never worked too well as a crisp cookie. vanilla wafers have a similar texture but not the shape, you could make your own:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/Ladyfingers.html

as to the eggs, ask around for pasteurized eggs. these are quickly and precisely heated to a precise temp to kill salmonella.
Ohioren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing recipe. Are there vegan alternatives to the ingredients?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search on "Vegan Tiramisu" - many many many recipes turn up.
I'd search for a trustworthy source and follow that rather than attempt to modify this one.
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing the recipe, a worth to try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: