Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cooking terms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

The situation still seems a little ambiguous to me though because of the natural moisture in the food (in garlic in this case).
When cooking en papillote, for example, the foods inside are said to steam (at least in my memory they have been) whether they're in foil or parchment.
I also think of the veggies I microwave in a small container as steaming since I usually add no liquids, and even if only lighted-covered with dry waxed paper (often what I use) they still emit a bit of steam when the covering is removed after cooking. And they "taste" steamed though it's true that I don't cook them past the just-done stage which could cause other effects.

I do get a bit mixed up with categorizations when oil is involved sometimes, but am still interested in anything further you find out about "roasted" garlic or similar situations Smile.

added later... I wonder if the oil that's rubbed all over the exterior of the topped garlic head just gets down more into the crevices of the cut top area than anywhere else and therefore is thick and oily enough to keep any steam created by the moisture in the garlic from reaching that area, and/or just gets hot enough to "fry" that area a bit creating the browning seen there (and a bit down into each clove)??
sscookwaresets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
the claim for "roasting bags" is they keep moisture in while allowing the contents to brown. it's a "marketing" term - I suppose it refers more to use than a technical description.

like "trash bags" - you don't trash the bag (well, in the end you do....) you put the trash in the bag. similarly, if you put the roasting bag in the oven, one could say you're roasting the bag (along with it's contents...)

roasting a turkey / poultry in a "roasting pan" usually involves taking the lid off toward the end to brown the bird nicely. overcooked poultry does dry out; hence the lid.

Yes Dilbert, you are 100% right.
Cheff Wannabee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it rather interesting that your cooking dictionary defines baking and roasting the same way-cooked in an open pan in dry heat! Thoughts?

For what it's worth: I always do my turkeys in a roasting bag tightly sealed with no added liquid. The top browns nicely and the meat is very moist and juicy! I don't even take the package out of the cavity and all that turns out tender as well.

Happy cooking!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> baking and roasting the same way-cooked in an open pan in dry heat! Thoughts?

personally I bake a cake, and a meatloaf, but I don't bake a prime rib.

which of course generates the question, what's up with baked ham?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum