Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: The Classic Tiramisu (original recipe?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
germologist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad trifle came up, because tiramisu andzuppa inglese are relatives of the trifle, which in itself is a very delectable thing. Basically, I am quite happy eating almost any variation of cake and custard (or custard like substances). But not raw egg ones. It's not just the bacteria either, anyone else here know about avidin? A few years ago I came across the American Egg Board (Or advisory service - anyway, it represents the US egg industry) website. It had very handy advice for treating whole eggs, whites and yolks so that they could be used in recipes that classically call for raw eggs. I'm sure all you engineers will love it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: TIRAMISU MMMMM Reply with quote

I´m writing from Spain and I am very happy to read your tiramisu recepy, it sounds very nice and you explain it very good, too! I love tiramisu, i think is the most delicious dessert in the world....There´s an italian restaurant chain here called GINO´S and they make the best tiramisu, if you come to Spain, you should try it! Of course i´m going to try to recepy and i´ll tell you afterwards
kbiscuit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Tiramisu Reply with quote

Why nobody has mentioned that the best way to make the Tiramisu, is to begin by baking one's own Ladyfingers? They are easy to make, and when bakedvery soft and light, so when you dip them into expresso, and chill in the fridge, comes out perfect. Not too soft, but enough for very light dessert.
tiramisu freaky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: yes Gino's tiramisu is wwww... Reply with quote

Hi all! I saw a comment of someone, talking about tiramisu's at Gino's chain restaurant..

they are increadible.. fantastic.. delicious.. perfect!! I am a tiramisu freak, I think is the best way to finish a wouthwatering meal... accompanied with a lovely "cortado" (as we call expresso coffee with a shot of milk)..

this poll has been fantastic. .. I have learned many things and tomorrow I'll be doing my own tiramisu..

se ya'll!!!
ciao
Rachel H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

It was very interesting to read through all the comments. Everyone seems to have his/her own points. Wink

I will try it today (but probably with some twist) to make a dessert for tmr's Valentine's Day.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I very much like your presentation (really like an engineer), especially the illustration about the layers of the Tiramisu, different colours for different textures. Great idea...
Coffee & Vanilla

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my next thing to try... I love tiramisu and your reciopes are soo clear and easy to use.

www.coffeeandvanilla.com
Terence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Tiramisu Recipe Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the classic recipe. I've used it many times, with a little variations here and there, and have just about perfected it. First of all I use 1.5 times the ingredients to allow for more of the mixture. Secondly, I use vanilla sugar in part because I like the aroma and flavour of vanilla, and because I have gotten used to using vanilla sugur instead of the vanilla extra after having lived in Europe for a few years.

The other modification that I use is to fold in one egg white into the mixture at the end. I admittedly haven't noticed any real difference in the mixture because of this; I just happened to see this addition in another recipe and thought I'd give it a shot.

One last note. After experimenting with everything from Amaretto to a Marsala wine to some old sherry we happened to have had in the cupboard, I've found that Mendez' rich sweet Golden Sherry works best.

One problem I have is in managing the cocoa on the top. I appreciate the tip that someone gave about waiting to the dish has chilled before adding it.

TB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

I've actually been to the restaurant where Tiramisu was invented in treviso, when I was living in Italy. My boyfriend at the time was from there and told me that the restaurant used to be a brothel. The downstairs area was where the men would eat and upstairs was for the girls. They brought in this new chef who then made up this dessert and the men stopped visiting the girls and instead mostly went there for the dessert (as legend has it). Actually the name, Tiramisu, while the phrase does mean 'pick me up', is also slang for 'turn me on' which considering the story is quite appropriate. My ex is one of those people who eats at the best restaurants all over Italy, especially the ones that are famous for this particular dish or that.
Baltogal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: An article about the originator of Tiramisu Reply with quote

I thought you'd enjoy another view on the origin of Tiramisu:

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/the-inventor-of-tiramisu-now-lives-in-baltimore/
kim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: love the site Reply with quote

Just discovered the site and am a big fan. Love the quote below

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize you are dirty and the pig likes it. " I am an engineer and work with many others. Will be posting this one on my wall!
Smiling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Tiramisu Engineer Reply with quote

Wow! I must say that being an engineer myself, you definitely are one as well. And if it couldn't be more perfectly over-the-top engineer-esque - you added the lovely chart diagram at the bottom! I thank you for speaking in my language and making me laugh.
Shinobu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your local supermarket you can probably buy espressopowder. It may not be as good as using the real thing, but it's cheap and it works for me. I dissolve it in a little hot water and then put it on the ladyfingers or cake.
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good recipe, but to be honest I have tried tiramisu once in my life and hated it. I would have no interest in making it myself if everyone in my family didn't like it.
twins2feed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: wowza! Reply with quote

Ok, so I am attempting my first Tiramisu tomorrow. I have been looking for an authenitc recipe and found this site, thank you!! I have an entire page of ideas/tips I plan to use to make the best tiramisu I can. Thank you all for having such strong opinions and thank you Mr. Engineer, I will print out all 8 pages to use when Im making this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Granulated sugar Reply with quote

Why ordinary sugar-sand would not suffice? It is going to be dissolved anyway... Unsure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: