Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Hot Chocolate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this makes also THE best chocolate pudding on earth if you bring the final mix (1quart recipe) to a boil and whisk in 100grms of cornstarch mixed with 100ml of milk. The amount of starch depends a bit how creamy or stiff you like your pudding.
Let it bubble for a couple of seconds and you are ready.
JC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks delicious! I'm going to try this in my Thermomix (makes it easy to keep an even temperature). Only problem is that I don't think I can find semisweet chocolate chips here. What percentage of cocoa in a bar would approximate that well?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand any chocolate that's not milk. When I made the hot chocolate with milk chocolate my mom had mixed up the salt with sugar Teasing. So when we (my family)drank it, the hot chocolate was so sweet I was the only one that finished my cup... Luckly I have a huge sweet tooth so I finshed everyone's cups. That night I was up till 6:00 am...
rth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Time involved in making this hot chocolate. Reply with quote

How long does this process take, once you have your mise en place?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Time involved in making this hot chocolate. Reply with quote

rth wrote:
How long does this process take, once you have your mise en place?

This takes about 2 minutes. One minute of it is warming up the chocolate in the microwave. Should be about 30 to 60 sec to get it mixed up after that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was wonderful! Thanks so much! I used to make my own hot chocolate mix but this was faster and the hot chocolate was creamier and better!

Cheryl
dickens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: exactly what I needed Reply with quote

Have been looking for a recipe where milk could be replaced with water, but for some reason every other forum discussion claimed that milk was a necessary ingredient. Just made this with 100% Ghirardelli unsweetened chocolate bars and water, no sweetener. It's a different kind of drink, but if one likes his tea and coffee black, unsweetened chocolate is very nice. Three squares (43 grams) make 12 ounces of chocolate drink with the consistency of regular cocoa.
ziggy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont necessarily need chocolate bars or chips to make this. I just made this delicious creamy hot chocolate and it was glorious. I used hot chocolate powder( any kind of mix will do) , added some sugar (optional) and heated in the microwave till it melted really well. then i slowly poured in my already warmed milk and stirred. p.s there was delicious froth Smile Smile
Karol2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hot chocolate! I begin every day with cup of chocolate Smile This recipe is the best what I'm drank. So thank you!

Greetz
Karol from
martynamalinowska1980

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael - thank you. Your method worked beautifully. No more grainy soup, no more wasted time and money.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe File: Hot Chocolate

grainy soup?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Sous vide Reply with quote

Years ago, Howard asked if this could be done in a sous vide.

Well -- my buddy did it the other day. He doubled the recipe (for the family) and put all the ingredients into a wide mouth mason jar, which he sealed using a vacuum device and placed in the sous vide ( i think he went to 150 degrees F, though) for a bit, then pulled them out, opened the jars, and used an immersion blender.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Sous vide hot chocolate Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping this up! I just made my first sous vide hot chocolate.

I set the sous vide at 125.

I put 1 cup of whole milk and a heaping tablespoon of Blommer dark chocolate disks into a wide mouth pint sized Mason jar, with the lid on loosely.

I put the Mason jar in the sous vide. After a while, I took it out, tightened the lid and shook vigorously. That was enough to dissolve the chocolate chunks. I then added a level tablespoon of sugar and shook it again. The result was wonderful.

I am torn at the best temperature, though. Chocolate can kill germs. The lowest temperature to pasteurize is 130. The highest temperature for dark chocolate to not lose its molecular form is 120. So, should I rely on the flavonoids to kill germs and heat at 120? Or does adding the milk change the chemistry, so heating to 130 does not kill the chocolate?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Sous vide hot chocolate correction. Reply with quote Delete this post

I just thought about my recent post and realized that I made a mistake. I did not heat the hot chocolate sous vide ("under vacuum" in French). Instead, I used a shallow sous vide water bath to heat the mixture. Only the bottom 2/3 of the upright Mason jar was submerged, allowing it to heat up without spilling the contents.

I did do one milk/chocolate mix in a near-vacuum sealed bag. It was harder to mix, so not as good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: