Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

explanation for tooth-breaking raisins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: explanation for tooth-breaking raisins? Reply with quote

Greetings, all--I'm new here. Great site!

I'll jump in with a question about something that puzzled my spouse and me recently.

I purchased a brand of cereal new to us. Not one of the major, well-known brand names; more of a natural-foods company. Whole grain, no preservatives, organic, etc.

First time my spouse tried a bowl, he howled in surprise--"OMG, these raisins are like rocks!"

I checked them out myself--the ones I picked out from among the dry cereal flakes didn't seem stale or hard. I figured my housemate was exaggerating, overreacting...

But then I fixed a bowl for myself, and began chewing my first spoonful of cereal and milk. Ow! I had to agree--the raisins were rock-hard.

It seems that the contact with the milk was turning the raisins from chewy to quite hard. I would have guessed that contact with a liquid would soften, not harden, a raisin. I wondered if the liquid's temperature was the cause? (And this is all non-dairy milk, btw.)

But we've never encountered this with other raisins in cereals... I started wondering if other raisins in the more conventional brands are treated in some way that keeps them from hardening upon contact with cold milk?

Any hypotheses?
Newshound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[oops, this raisin post is mine, sorry--I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum