Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Basic Biscuits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Biscuits Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
With all due respect, I have lived, cooked, and eaten on six continents and there is much misinformation out there and on this site. ...
The use of so much milk and butter in this recipe may make a delicious bread item, but it is neither a true UK biscuit nor American biscuit.

3/4 cup milk for 2 cups flour is by far the most common proportion for American biscuits for the past century. See for example the Picayune Creole Cookbook of 1901, the Boston Cooking School Cook Book (1896-1941), and Beard on Bread (1975).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Vive la difference Reply with quote

From county to county, town to town; family to family, kitchen to kitchen - for centuries ALL recipes were different as they were handed down from mother to daughter and each adapted it. E.g. my grandmother who taught me to bake sodabread used only flour, baking soda and buttermilk (with a pinch of salt & sugar) her daughter (my aunt, obviously) used butter, a lot more sugar and eggs in her recipe - as she kept more hens and had spare eggs! It is only with the advent of cookery books and esp the Internet that recipes have become standardised. Here in Ireland, sodabreads, soda farls, scones etc are all derived from the same idea. Some sweet, some savoury; some incorporating fats, some not. So bread, scone or biscuit, it is quite obvious that with the invention of baking soda the handiness of using it instead of yeast was such a blessing to the harried housewife that it travelled the world and the recipes evolved. As have we all!
Biscuits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Varying from milk-based to buttermilk. Reply with quote

The variation that I use when substituting buttermilk (or sour milk or diluted yogurt) for sweet milk is to use 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp soda. Then I work in the liquid very carefully, and add only enough until the dough clings together. You want to handle the dough as little as possible; over-handling makes it tough. My son loves these, and begs for them frequently. It's also a good way to use up milk that's gone sour.
scichinin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Basic Biscuits, Scones, on Frokast Reply with quote

On my home planet biscuits are called cvziti and scones are ziticvz. The people in South only make and eat cvziti! Very common there, they even feed to grondala. But in main island exists inland gravy sea! In north we have to use melted forlaag, but there are many islindl, so that is easy. No fruit, not even marmalade (same word!) trees. Thanks for recipe. Your planet has many pretty women and csindij!
scichinin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah...these biscuits are crap. Pretty much all the milk turned the dough into a big wet sticky lump that was impossible to form into anything resembling a ball. Thanks for wasting my time and ingredients.
IronRinger

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Biscuits Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
3/4 cup milk for 2 cups flour is by far the most common proportion for American biscuits for the past century.

Yea, that's what all my recipe books call for. But in my arid climate, 3/4 c of liquid is not enough. I use 1 c milk/buttermilk for 2 c flour.
Jacks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Re. the Biscuit Recipe Reply with quote

Nice biscuit recipe! Talking biscuits, browsing in an old magazine from the 1800s, I found recently an old coffee biscuit recipe that I posted on my site -- the coffee biscuits, like "coffee cakes" today, were just biscuits or wafers, to eat together with coffee.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Hard Wheat vs Soft Wheat Reply with quote

I recently learned that in the southern US flour is made with Soft Wheat. This has less gluten than Hard Wheat and makes much better, softer, biscuits. I am going to try mixing our regular, Hard Wheat, flour with first 25% Rice flour to reduce the gluten content. If that is not enough I will try 50%. [I used to be an engineer. Left it about 25 years ago.]
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use All Purpose flour for biscuits - it that available in your area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: