Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pans by Ballarini with "KERAVIS" surface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nope

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Pans by Ballarini with "KERAVIS" surface Reply with quote

Hello,

i would like to ask if you have any experiences or knowledge about these pans http://www.ballarini.it/eng/prodotti_linea.php/idlinea=10#/

there is not much informations about the surface, only something from ballarini http://www.ballarini.it/eng/salento.php

i was unable to find any negative review on their products, only positive ones on
http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fballarini.heureka.cz%2Frecenze%2F&act=url

and eshop which sells mainly them has very good customer reviews and won eshop contest in czech republic in 2011
http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fobchody.heureka.cz%2Fpanvicky-cz%2Frecenze%2F&act=url

so one would guess it is good...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>
spam alert
>>>

if you go to the manufacturer's website - as both your links do - you can expect to find only good remarks.
nope

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why am i asking here.
manufacturers informations cannot be trusted and some people just make a positive review after one use of pan...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, according to Ballarini, they are the world's leading manufacturer of high quality . . . wow, I'm constantly surprised at how many "world's leading" companies there are in the same business.

interesting that being the world leader and so long in business, no one has reviewed them. the one eopinion review I found was pretty much word for word shilling of the company line - and somebody raving about their non-stick coated wok. well, anyone using a non-stick coated wok can't be for real anyway.

a lot of sites sell it

the non-stick is Analon - not new
they are at least honest about the warranty - five years - probably 3-4 years longer than Analon will last but...

if the price is right, why not?
it's unlikely to be anything better than remotely average.
nope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 months of use very careful use on induction, and the surface started to have small blisters. I guess I will stick with a cheap teflon next time.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting follow-up.

did the blistering start at the 'edges' of the bottom? I wonder if the 'instant heat' effects of induction cause an overheating?
nope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pan: http://www.ballarini.it/eng/prodotti_scheda.php/nomeLinea=taormina/prodotto=frying-pan/idprodotto=31/idlinea=11
-inner diameter 21 cm
-heated diameter is maybe 12 or 14 cm, it seems to heat equally- no measurable difference between middle and edge
-there are only few small ones in the middle, majority is in diameter from 8 to 16 cm

I bought the induction cooktop at 24.09.2012. So it was used for 4 months on slow electric cooktop, and for nearly 7 months on induction. It was never overheated, no washing while warm.

Measured with IR(emissivity 0,95), empty pan, from room temperature:
mostly used speed:
45s to 100C
+20s to 125C

maximum speed that the pan ever experienced (sporadically if ever):
30s to 100C
+15s to 125C
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tried a number of "upscale" non-stick, which all "failed" in relatively short times - not on induction tho

so now I buy a cheapie $10-15 PTFE pan - which lasts 18-24 months - then it's time for a new one. there are some thing where a non-stick is very helpful.

the "green" ceramic pans are curious - some people have very good service, others report the same 'worked for a couple weeks' syndrome - same brand/size etc so looks to be a question of use. they run about $20 - my plan is to try one 'next'
IronRinger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you folks been washing your non-stick pans? IMO, washing them in the DW is deadly - the coating fails as fast as when you repeatedly overheat them. Hand washing with strong dishwashing deterg also limits the life. My few non-stick pans are now only washed with plain water and a sponge cloth, when cool. Hey, they are non-stick - the crud slides right off, so very gentle cleaning is all that is needed.
nope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried to use DW, although it is declared to be DW safe. And it was never overheated, if you define overheating a to go beyond 200C (thatīs why I have IR thermometer Smile).
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only kitchenware exempt from the dishwasher are the Wuesthof knives.

other that "good china" (by DW's definition) everything else either survives the dishwasher or gets wasted/chucked.

I have a lot of wooden utensils - spoons, spatulas, etc. they go in the dishwasher. yes it's harmful to wood; when it gets funky I buy some new stuff.

I have a limited amount of time and appetite on this earth; not gonna' waste it "hand washing" stuff my descendents can replace for a coupla'bucks.

.......and this is currently brought to your by the original "way before you ever heard about disposable" anti-freak. people are funny & odd creatures.
nope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some temperature graph of DW, because if it does not make any bumps, then it should harm nothing, except the wood.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert, you're funny! Doubt you can find them here in USA, but Hawkins, an Indian manufacturer known primarily for their pressure cookers also make a line of relatively inexpensive non-stick fry pans, 3.25 mm thick aluminium. I love them and if you don't overheat you can get 3+ years out of them.

http://www.hawkinscookers.com/2.1.3.futura_frying_pans.asp

I like the Frying Pan 26 cm, 3.25 mm CODE:Q21
with stainless steel lid MRP: 1100 ($20 USD)
EliMunn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Scanpan. Yes, it was a bit of a investment, but hey, I'm looking after myself. Wink
coelacanth72

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash Teflon and similar non stick coatings by simply wiping with a paper towel or a rag reserved for the purpose. Pretty much like seasoned cast iron. Soap and water if you really burn something on there, but be very gentle, even a green scrubby can mar the surface at which point I'd trash it for fear of out gassing. Uncoated pans may stick but are far easier to clean without damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum