Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

marmalade question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: marmalade question Reply with quote

I have cooked orange and lemon skins and pulp and sliced ginger in juice that makes 4 quarts. The only thing I need to do before putting it into jelly jars is add the sugar (and I think I'll add a packet of liquid pectin) and cook it til the sugar is dissolved. My question is: How many cups of sugar do I need to add to 4 quarts to get the right ratio?
JulieB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: marmalade question Reply with quote

The Fanny Farmer Cookbook. . .if she is still around. . .in hardbound, offers multiple proportion tables just inside the cover! Wink
pbone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Julie - Here's what happened: I found credible instructions more than once that said one to one, in other words, 4 lbs sugar to 4 libs fruit. So I did that, dissolved the sugar over medeium high heat, added 1 packet liquid pectin, boiled furiously for one minute and put the marmalade into jars and processed for ten minutes. The marmalade is delicious but....it didn't set! I think I should have made it in half batches. Smaller batches, I'm told, work better, so I should have at least halved the fruit and proceed with the sugar (and pectin) in two batches. I'm still interested in others' opinions or tips, discussing the making of marmalade. btw, the reason I cooked all the peel and fruit first, without the sugar, was that one web site said cooking the fruit WITH the sugar makes the rind tough...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum