Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leverage S04E12: Elliot's Sandwich

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twoblink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Leverage S04E12: Elliot's Sandwich Reply with quote

In the tv show "Leverage", Season 4 Episode 12: Elliot accuses Hardison of stealing his sandwich. He then goes on and describes the sandwich. I have cut that clip out as reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_FwIaAn5oo&feature=youtu.be

I have also made the sandwich; and it was my breakfast this morning.

First, a few comments about the actual sandwich;

I could not find an "Everything bagel" at Wholefoods, they were all sold out, and so I had to settle for a Sprouted Bagel. Second, now being winter, I couldn't get an Heirloom tomato either; so I substituted a beefsteak. Everything else was according to Elliot's instructions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elliot's Unforgettable Sandwich

Ingredients:

1/4 lb Thinly sliced turkey
1 Sweet Maui Onion
1 Dill Havarti Cheese
1 Heirloom Tomato
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Stalk of Green Onion
1/2 cup of Cream Cheese
1 Tablespoon of Skyr
1 Everything Bagel
2 Tablespoons of Ghee (or Butter)

Directions:

Garlic and Cream Cheese Spread: The secret to making your own flavored "spread" is that you need something to make the cream cheese slightly less thick and slightly less viscous. In this case, I use Skyr, an icelandic form of yogurt/cheese. If you don't have Skyr, some greek yogurt will do. Finely chop 1 clove of garlic, and 1 stalk of green onion. Add it to 1/2 cup of cream cheese, and add in a tablespoon of skyr or greek yogurt. Mix wildly. Let it sit for about twenty minutes at room temp. Do this first. I put in 2 cloves and 2 stalks of green onions, because I like it spicy. Tastes great, but be warned, your breath will smell. Worth it though.

Turkey & Onions: Get a sweet onion, thinly slice it cross-sectioned.
Heat a saute pan; medium heat. Put in 2 tablespoons of Ghee, or if you don't have Ghee, then you can use 2 tablespoons of Butter. Ghee however, has a much higher flashpoint and won't burn so easily. When the pan is hot, throw in the onions, and lightly toss. Reduce heat to low, and stir occasionally until onions are caramelized. (About 30 minutes) Remove onions from pan, toss in some thinly sliced turkey and move it around. Turn off the heat and remove the turkey.

With a very sharp knife:
Slice your heirloom tomato about 1/4" thick.

Slice your dill havarti cheese about 1/8th" thick.

Slice your everything bagel in half; and toast them.

The logical order would be:

Top Bun
Garlic and Onion Spread
Tomato
Havarti Cheese
Sauted and Reduced Sweet Maui Onion
Turkey
Bottom Bun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OP's comments:

I tried this, and I think it was a very good sandwich; but it was missing a bit of Umami and it wasn't salty enough. Cream cheese plus havarti cheese needed something either acidic or sharp to cut through the richness. I will remake this sandwich tomorrow but with 2 strips of bacon added. I believe that this will do wonders for the sandwich.

I have no idea why when I saw the episode; I was so intrigued, but I was, and so I put in the effort to make it. I also have pics of the one I made, if there is interest, I'll post them..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Thank you for being the only person thus far on The Internets to have tried this.
2. An everything bagel is salty. This will resolve your insufficient salt issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum