Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfowler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Toaster Reply with quote

Can someone recommend a toaster - one that really works but doesn't break the budget? Many that are recommended are $100+ which seems a little large?
Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never buy a toaster when I could get a toaster oven. They are cheaper than you would think ($70 +/-) and so much more flexible; you will never eat re-heated pizza any other way again.

You want one that will handle 4 pieces of wonder bread (it should say in the product desc).
You want one that will bake, broil, and toast; some have timers, too.
Most are rated at ~1500 watts, but high-end models jump way up in wattage after that.

I bought a used one once that made perfect toast. My husband replaced it with a new Black and Decker that doesn't handle that job so well, though they make a dozen variations on the same model.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Toaster Reply with quote

bfowler wrote:
Can someone recommend a toaster - one that really works but doesn't break the budget? Many that are recommended are $100+ which seems a little large?

I've got a handful of toasters, one of which being a fancy English 4 slicer. I find that my 9 dollar 2 slicer from Target has a far more even toasting spread. And it was only 9 dollars.

Biggles
Verm

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Toaster Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread but I'm confused.

Quote:
Can someone recommend a toaster - one that really works but doesn't break the budget?

How can a toaster not work? OK I've known toasters that used to eject the toast a tad vigorously so that on occasion it fell behind the fridge, and I've a 60's chrome toaster that's melted it's heating element a few times.
I've also seen a toaster fail to turn off until it had melted through it's cable and tripped it's fuse, but if you buy a new toaster (or don't mind rewiring occasionally) I can't see how a toaster can fail to "really work".

Quote:
Many that are recommended are $100+ which seems a little large?

Wha??? Where are $100 toasters recomended? Surely you just get one that looks nice, that does the right number of slices, and preferably has quite wide slots incase you don't slice the bread too evenly and end up with odd shaped wedges.

You can easily pick one up for 15 quid http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4207658.htm
or if you want it to look flash pay 55 pounds
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4221634.htm

What more would any one want? You want it to burn you a weather forcast? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/04/bread_as_a_display_device/

Seriously why would anyone even think of paying $100 for a toaster? Are they luxury novelty items in the US or something?[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum