Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Some Quotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Off Topic: Some Quotes Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Here are some quotes that I've managed to collect since my site readership has skyrocketed. I thought I'd share. (Many are similar, but I've just been cutting and pasting quickly.)

--

I love the way you lay out the recipes on your site.

--

Cooking For Engineers is the blog/cooking school for the Asperger's generation.

--

From Steve Ivy, Cooking for Engineers. I really like the compact recipe format.

--

Ben turned me onto Cooking for Engineers. The recipes look dang tasty, but what really catches my eye is the way the recipes are graphically presented such that the preparation steps are naturally integrated with the ingredients list.
Brilliant. Definitely Tufte-worthy.

--

If you�ve ever played The Sims and had one of your sim learn to cook just so he doesn�t set the house on fire? Well Cooking for Engineers won�t help you with your sims, but this will help you comprehend how to make delectible meals without having to grok oft-confusing traditional-recipe-syntax.

I recommend you read through the site from day one, as there is lots of useful cooking references through there, like ingredient substitution, beef grades, smoke points of different oils, y�know, important stuff.

And if it�s all too geeky for you, try learning to cook from an octopus instead.

You owe The Internet Oracle Glutnix seconds of Tiramisu.

--
(http://del.icio.us/url/5f28736423ea56576cffeadf64e3011b)

Awesome information design for recipies, I can tell at a glance how to make it

--

Very clever data presentation

--

I like the way the instructions are presented

--

nassi-shneiderman like diagrams for the kitchen

--

I really like their recipe notation

--

Nice representation of postfix recipe notation

--

ie using charts to communicate recipes

--

I'm not convinced that there's any benefit to this layout style for the recipes. The idea of working your way down and then across is nice but it's limiting and leads to simplications and mistakes--you stumble upon things at the END like a pan size or oven temperature. The "traditional" recipe layout is set up the way it is for a reason; it's actually highly information-dense and nearly perfectly structured.

--

Those tables look like a nice addition to the traditional recipe. That way it's easy to check you didn't forget anything.

--

Awesome information design. One glance at the recipe diagrams and I was ready to make a Tiramisu

--

Can I just say, this is THE perfect site for someone like myself. I
cannot thank you enough for doing this. Awesome site. Thank you!

--

On a somewhat related note, I found the perfect website for someone like myself. I'm moving out, I'm going to have to spend more time cooking and I need a resource for some good recipes. On the night before I move out, I stumble upon Cooking for Engineers. I nearly shat my pants when I saw it. Even the recipes are laid out in a way only an engineer would appreciate. I will see you all from Irvine.

--

Michael Chu has an blog called Cooking For Engineers, which reminds me a lot of Good Eats with Alton Brown. But I really love Michael's recipe diagrams. Somehow they're so much easier to follow than your usual recipe card format. And now I'm hungry. Link courtesy of Waxy.org.

--

Depending on whether you feel cooking is more science or art, you may or may not take offense at what the name of this site implies: Cooking for Engineers (Personally, I think good engineers have equal parts creativity and logic floating around in their noggins, which also happens to be the right balance to be a good chef.)

Anyway, aside from the kludgey blog interface, there's some cool stuff here- plenty of pics and a slick way of displaying steps for preping ingredients in a one-look table format

--

I just thought I'd say that your format of directions is really intuitive. Maybe it's just because I'm an engineer though...

--

Michael- Terrific Blog. Stumbled across it at the bottom of the Silicon Valley news ezine I get. Kudos on the recipe format. I always wondered why reading recipes was so cumbersome. Your diagramatic recipes are really concise.

Keep up the good work!

--

I really like the way he shows the recipes. I wish all recipe cards were that simple and to the point. :)

--

I really like the way he shows the recipes. I wish all recipe cards were that simple and to the point. :)

--

I've been looking for a better way to get recipes going. Well you have found it my friend, bravo!
I think this will be the standard very soon!

--

And recently I discovered a cooking blog that is designed for engineers, named, not surprisingly, Cooking for Engineers. Marvel at the elegance and beauty of the recipe diagrams. I have no idea whether the dishes are any good, but the recipes themselves are works of art.

--

friggengreat, Oct 11, 5:05pm
What do you get when you take the emotion, erroneus adjectives, and nonsensical decorations out of your cookbook? An excellent set of instructions that would make Martha Stewart squawk in blatant disapproval, and that's a good thing.

by Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I have a good reason to set up that surf station in the kitchen! I'll try negotiating the terms with the govern... er, girlfriend later on tonight.

Wink

Seriously, a very nice site that helps people that can't read normal recipes (i.e a lot of men...).
Jonathan_repost

How about, "Tufte is your Daddy."

Great website! I sure wish it had been around when I began cooking 35 years ago! I've sent my son and daughter the website -- both love it as much as I do!
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Recipe cards Reply with quote Delete this post

Love your recipe card format but would also like to see you include the approximate yield amount on the card. Note I haven't looked at too many recipes, I just noticed it wasn't on a cookie recipe I looked up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: