Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shrimp Scampi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americaningermany

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Shrimp Scampi Reply with quote

I just found this site and I must say that the recipe tastes fabulous!! I also did a search for Shrimp Scampi and found this site. I've never had the experience of this type of site before...Certainly interesting!! As for what the recipe should be called, who cares as long as there's a description of what's in it!! I'm from the south(living in Germany:)) and everybody knows how southerners like to rename dishes and call them their own!! I've tasted the Italian version of this dish in Italy and I there's just no way to tell the difference as long as you use fresh seafood no matter what you call it!! Excellent job and I love the layout.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as to the us americans being wrong about "shrimp v. prawn"... do a little research, and find out that there are physical differences between the two, but not dealing with size,(the gill structure is different), and get
"stuffed!!". Anger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get what the big deal is. There is not right or wrong, there are just cultural differences. Here in Britain we would call them prawns, over in the US they call them shrimp. Yes, scampi is the word for shrimp/prawns in Italian but that is the American name for the dish. Scampi to a Brit would refer to a langoustine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i forgot to mention.. even if there are supposed to be physical differences between shrimp and prawns.. it's still a cultural thing in terms of language. English and American English may be similar but they are by no means the same. so some words have different meanings.. people need to accept that! In Finland, they have 7 different words for snow which describe different types of snow. Does that mean we are wrong to say it is just "snow"?
JohnInCanada

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Names mean a lot! Reply with quote

Not to quibble (much), but there are significant differences between a shrimp and a scampi. Not the dish - the critter. A scampi (langoustine) is more closely related to a lobster than a shrimp - at least that is what I think. When I go down the st. Lawrnce river in the summer, we eat at a litle restaurant in Tadoussac which serves filet avec langoustine (tenderloin and scampi) - and while the tails they serve (broiled with garlic butter on the side) are tiny - like a medium sized shrimp - the shells are quite hard and thick - more like a lobster.

How did I get here? well it's my GF's 50th bday tomorrow and I want to get her "real" scampi tails - and before I go to the market I wanted to be sure I had the nomenclature down. Saddly, I fear they will not be available here, and I will have to settle for rock lobster tails.
Louise (guest)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another clearly-explained and delicious recipe. I think next time I will make less linguine or more shrimp and garlic though. It's also good with a bit of basil in it.
Sherrick

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks wonderful and I would very much like to prepare the dish for my family. My only reservation is that I've never cooked shrimp in any form before. Due to my inexperience, I am a bit concerned about removing "the vein" without either destroying the look of the shrimp or inadvertently removing too much of the meat. Is the de-veining process difficult? Any tips on performing this portion of the preparation properly?

Oh yes, I just remembered something else that I wanted to ask. I may have missed it, but I don't see a listing for the number of servings in this dish. I am the rather large father of three even larger teenage boys. My wife is a lovely, petite woman who can - on occasion - eat us all under the table. I need to make sure these folks are full before the bottom of the plate appears. Again, I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
Sherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: deveining Reply with quote

You can buy them deveined at many markets. I have been eating shrimp all of my life probably 20 times a year times 50 years and I have never deveined a shrimp. As long as the shrimp is cooked I don't think there is any health risk. I don't buy the very large shrimp because they can be tough. With the larger ones I am sure you would want to devein.
Hope I helped
JKyrala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Shrimp Scampi :) Reply with quote

What a neat site! I thought the carved pumpkin was very appropriate. Smile

This recipe is really good and I love the recipe charts.

One thing I do differently is that I use rice noodles instead of the usual wheat ones. I tend to have allergies but I also like rice noodles. Use the translucent noodles from China - some of the ones from the US that are opaque tend to fall apart. I have a Chinese food store near my neighborhood so this is not hard for me. One advantage of the rice noodles - they cook really fast.

Shrimp, even if it is called lobster, is very good served this way. :>

The physics of snapping noodles is in this podcast from Quirks and Quarks - the podcast.

04-Snapping Spaghetti

The physics of the way spaghetti breaks under strain.

f you've ever tried to break up dry spaghetti, you may have noticed that it doesn't snap into two even pieces. Usually it'll break into three, four or even more sections. It's a problem that's plagued engineers, that is, until recently. Dr. Andrew Belmonte is a mathematician at Pennsylvania State University. He's spent hours dropping weights on top of strands of spaghetti and taking high speed photographs. Thanks to his destruction of pasta, he's been able to work out the mathematics of breaking in thin rods. It turns out everything depends on how fast sound waves will travel through the object, and how large the rod's diameter is. All this is valuable if you're thinking of constructing new materials. For his next project, Dr. Belmonte plans to smash plates.

The article was published in Phys Rev.

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/05-06/nov19.html

Quirks and Quarks is available via podcasts too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was my first time cooking. i did it for my boyfriends birthday because it seems pretty easy.

it came out very good and he enjoyed it.
CA Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Silliness Reply with quote

Engineers, why must we argue over non-sentical points? My personal preference is to scan the comments quickly, ignore the lame ones that argue over things that have no reference to the recipe or whether it is good or not and then select the link to HIDE COMMENTS, so they don't bother me so! Smile

I spent many years living in Italy and they have a dish there (in a little town called Aldelphia) called Aglio Scampi con Linguine and it is basically the same as our dish, but always is served with wine in the sauce...typically a Pinot Grigio. Smile My nona makes it all the time!

Wonderful job on the diagram showing the recipe!! My husband and I are both engineers and this makes a lot of sense to both of us...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little kick, add to the garlic/butter a pinch of red pepper and/or a dash of Tobasco/Frank's Red Hot sauce. To thicken the sauce up a bit and give it even more flavor, lightly dust the shrimp with fine breadcrumb after you first put them in the pan.
cottonpatch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: posting food comments Reply with quote

I have to agree with the poster above, I was looking for a good recipe, found one, and was wanting to know how it tasted and how others cooked it, and all I got was a lesson on culture, how sad. Thanks to all the posters who did post about how the food tasted, not the google search for
the word scampi or etc etc. I'm not being ugly, but most food posters say how the recipe worked for them.......
oh yeah and this recipe was excellent! I like alot of salt and garlic so I uped it a little pit and added some basil and parsley. If this recipe were not called shrimp scampi, I would have not found it, that's just what it's called. We don't know why, we just eat it cause it's good. I don't care if we called it slop, if it looks good we will eat it! (or at least I will)
Mary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Comment Complaints Reply with quote

The name of the website is "Cooking for Engineers." Not "Cooking for Food Critics," "Cooking for Gourmands," or "Cooking for those who want to be reassured beforehand."

The thing that matters most is that the recipe works. Provides a blueprint for a decent (or better) version of the dish in question. There's your reassurance. If you don't like the tangential conversations, stick to sites where engineers aren't around to post minutiae.

I add a dash of cayenne pepper, by the way. Gives it a nice bite.
P2H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Excellent! Reply with quote

I made this last night and it turned out fantastic. I made scampi once without the tails and I must agree that the tails do make the dish more tasty. Not sure why, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: