Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tempering with unsweetened chocolate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mck

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: tempering with unsweetened chocolate Reply with quote

can unsweetened chocolate be used for tempering? i love daaaark chocolate, like 90+% for general consumption. however, i dont eat sugar, and the darkest sugar free dark chocolate i have found is about 53%, which is totally unacceptable. so i have endeavored to make my own. i have been mixing unsweetened chocolate with the 53% dark chocolate (sweetened with maltitol) and am confident with my precise tempering technique, but have not been able to hold a temper for more than 24 hours. please help me!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, I am not a tempering expert.

but next, the entire theory behind tempering chocolate involves controlling the crystalline structure of chocolate by controlled heating/cooling - temps and time.

to the extent that fat/sugar content varies, that will affect the temperatures used for tempering and how the crystalline structure forms.

going to low sugar / sugar free chocolate will likely take some experimenting or at best some research into how that may be accomplished. bottom line is, you'll need to toss all the usual and customary advice / temps / times / conditions and seek out advice on low sugar chocolates.

artificial sweeteners are another wildcard in the mix - they will likely not behave as predicted by the normal coca butter / sugar experience.
mck

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fro your nice reply. i understand that the melting and tempering temperatures are higher for dark chocolate. i guess i gotta keep trying! anyone else have some hints?
yaruigon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta try your dark choco recipe there ... Smile
tocoti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can temper chocolate without any sugar at all. If you're new to it I would recommend the seed method. Heat to about 106 F cool to 90. Using a fine grater, grate some tempered chocolate on top. not too much. stirr. keep the temp so it does not fall below 87 for about 20 min. and never go above 92. give it a gentle stirr and check it on some parchment or similar surface. Mold. Cool quickly. oh and get a IR thermometer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum