Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gluten levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbmeyer2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Gluten levels Reply with quote

I enjoy baking bread with all types of flour. Buckwheat, rye, barley, whole wheat and so on. Gluten levels of flour is a key to bread making. All flour types have varying gluten levels. I have searched far and wide for a list of flours and their respective gluten content. If I had that at my side bread recipe development with alternate flours would be much easier.

Do you know of a list of flours which contains the corresponding gluten levels for each?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a comprehensive chart either - but the info is available with a bit of surfing.

one problem to making "absolute truth" type statements is the variability of gluten in a "finished flour"

there are no "legal" / FDA / USDA type definitions to pastry/cake/AP/bread flour "names" - the gluten content of one mill/brand sold as "bread flour" may be another brand's "AP"

for wheat based flours, one can approximate the gluten content as about 80% of the protein content.

one also has to separate the question into "gluten free" and "gluten of some content"
for example, buckwheat is usually shown as "gluten free"

see:
http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-free-flour.html
for an extended list of wheat free and gluten free "flours"

if you want to make a bread with a totally "gluten free" flour product, you'll need to go through some hoops.

rye, barley, whole wheat are usually cited as "low gluten"

it is not a good approach to make a "whole wheat" bread using 100% whole wheat flour - you get a brick. most recipes use a portion of rye/barley/whole wheat to "flavor" the bread. I never use more than 30% by weight of whole wheat, more typically 25% whole wheat by weigh to a bread flour.

it is also common practice to add "vital wheat gluten" to low gluten flours to produce an acceptable recipe. note that commercial products quite frequently use a host of (long chemical names here) as dough additives / conditioners when making breads from low gluten flours.

if you're using specialty flours, see:
http://www.germanfoodguide.com/flours.cfm
for some interesting insights.
DejanSav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find more informations about vital wheat gluten? Thanks
dbmeyer2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Low gluten bread Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. One of the links help a lot.

It is all in why I ask a question... I asked about gluten content so I could experimental with alternative flour. Your links helped, I found a bunch of recipes for low carb bread which most all call for the alternative flours I enjoy using. My wife is diabetic and I like the high fiber content and taste of hole grain flours. Most all low carb bread recipes fit the bill and are naturally low in gluten. BTW I think gluten is getting a bad rap excluding the folks with celiacs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum