Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yocona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home and related topics Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:

Wow, that's interesting. I've seen invert sugar listed as an ingredient but never knew what it was. Perhaps you could buy it commercially and use that instead? How long do you need to boil plain old sugar to result in an invert sugar solution?

You have any more thoughts on invert sugar? What if you used it in chocolate making?

Jim, check out this. http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/11/invert-sugar/

You can buy invert sugar--Amazon has it listed for about $30/gallon. But it's so easy, why not invest in a candy thermometer, make it yourself, and save some money.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... worth investigating. Thanks for the link.

Perhaps I should try making some Tollhouse Cookies with the stuff to determine the substitution ratios? :0

Jim
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home and related topics Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
I've seen invert sugar listed as an ingredient but never knew what it was. Perhaps you could buy it commercially and use that instead? How long do you need to boil plain old sugar to result in an invert sugar solution?

Technically, all syrups of glucose and fructose are invert sugar - corn syrup, tapioca syrup, golden syrup, honey, etc. The ratio of glucose and fructose differ though. The length of time varies depending on how much invert sugar you want. I unfortunately don't have any literature on the subject, but I recall that boiling for a few minutes is sufficient to convert some into invert sugar. In most recipes, crystallization of sucrose can be prevented with just a small percentage of invert sugar present to "get in the way". Boiling longer generally produces more invert sugar but I think there's a max time (after which you don't really get more invert sugar) around half an hour. Also, the addition of some acid (like vinegar or lemon juice) can speed up the process too.

Jim Cooley wrote:
What if you used it in chocolate making?

That would be chocolate fudge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: