Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off-flavors in Roasted Poultry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aikidoish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Off-flavors in Roasted Poultry Reply with quote

I have nearly given up making pan gravy for turkey and chicken because of an unpleasant flavor note -- to me it tastes like aluminium -- that I can't seem to shake.

I have switched to only roasting fresh turkey (sadly limiting me to turkey ONLY in November). I use an AL-Clad roaster, and brine the bird in a plastic container.

When I switched to fresh turkey, I definitely noticed a huge difference in the taste of the meat. But I'm still not happy with the gravy.

Last week I roasted a chicken and made pan gravy, and sure enough there was the funny taste in the pan gravy. The chicken was previously frozen, so I am inclined to blame the off-flavor on that.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you making the pan gravy - just reducing the juices ? or are you using a thickener?
Aikidoish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually I just deglaze and make a pan sauce. For the holidays I make a quick roux to thicken the drippings after I deglaze and pull of most of the fat.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure sounds like frozen is the issue - at first I though perhaps the roux was not cooked a bit - it can have a "raw flour" taste if not - but with/without roux thickener seems to eliminate that.

we can get fresh turkey parts most all year, but not whole fresh.

are the fresh / frozen different bands? poultry is "washed" in a sanitizing solution - perhaps one brand is using something different?
yocona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using commercially raised/processed chicken? If so, this could be the culprit. Like Dilbert mentioned, commercial processors use sanitizing baths for the carcasses--stuff like sodium chlorite. Commercial processors also inject the chickens with salt and/or seaweed, so that the chicken retains water. The intended result is a carcass that weighs more and therefore can be sold for more. The unintended result is a product that contains many times the amount of sodium found in naturally processed chicken.

The USDA labeling regulations allow this pumped up poultry to be labeled "all natural". So simply buying All Natural, Organic or Free Range chicken in your grocery store is not a guarantee. If you only have access to commercially processed chicken, perhaps a long soak in plain water could help to remove some of these additives--at least enough that it might improve the taste of your pan gravy.
colloss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can, you may try making the gravy with gizzards too. it does at to the flavor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum