Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegan Replacent For Mozzarella In Bread Recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Vegan Replacent For Mozzarella In Bread Recipe Reply with quote

A gluten free bread recipe only has 6 ingredients - tapioca flour, milk, oil, egg, salt & mozzarella. I can replace the milk with vegan (coconut cream and or nut based) milk with comparable fat/protein content. Flax and or chia seeds can replace the egg.

Mozzarella is proving to be more of a challenge. It is a significant part of the recipe both in amount (in ratio to other ingredients) and texture of final product. Any recommendation for vegan substitute, with comparable fat, protein, carb ratio? Or, should I focus more on finding a substitute that has a comparable texture to Mozza? Vegan cheese didn't work according to others, and I would like to avoid using soy or wheat (obviously to be gluten free) based products.

Stumped, please help!
SOS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: *replacement Reply with quote

typo
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no vegan cooking experience - so keep that in mind....

a Bing search for "vegan mozzarella" turned up pages and pages of hits. whether any of them are worth eating,,,, can't say.

when following a (fill in the blank) diet and looking for substitutes and replacements, one is usually better off looking for taste & texture to make the dish work - and eat something else to makeup for any "shortages" encountered. even for not-on-a-diet-routine people, pizza is not precisely "health food"

trying for taste/texture/nutrients all in the same sub is likely quite tricky, no?
SOS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughtful comment, Dilbert. I tend to agree for substitutions in cooking which is more forgiving, but baking is a precise science (you probably already know this, and that's why I'm here). For eg when making a scramble or fried rice, you can easily replace the protein without overly worrying about scientific composition - shrimp for bacon for tofu, or even leave it out and add spinach. Baking requires more thought to conversion. Replacing soaked flax seeds for egg works in precise time tested amounts; replacing coconut flour for AP flour requires reworking the liquid-to-flour ratio because coconut flour is a LOT more absorbent. Mess with composition in conversion and the finished product will fail. There is no time tested baking substitution for mozzarella. Sadly.

A little more background - for this bread, mozzarella does add mild cheesy-milky flavor but it also gives the final product elasticity and a distinct tooth-feel. For this particular product I want to preserve that distinct texture, over taste (I can add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for cheesy taste but can easily do without). My guess is the original product developer chose to use mozzarella as opposed to cheddar or parm in part for the mildness.

I could try a vegan cheese which most closely mimics mozzarella in composition but the bigger challenge is finding vegan cheese not containing soy or wheat.

Thought to do some background research before getting in the kitchen since "test baking" often results in inedible results, which can prove wasteful and costly ...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not sure pizza is such an exact thing (g) - folks make a lot of variants.

an smooth melting cheese/sub would be good. I've used provolone, feta, fontinella, munster.....

unfortunately I have no experience creating substitutes of your need so I really can't help with that.
salsiccia re

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Mozzarella Reply with quote

A replacement for mozzarella then would not be mozzarella. Vegans always try to make their food taste like the real food. In turn their food becomes a science project. I have had some really tasteful vegan food that was not a science project. Roasted sweet potato and red beans mashed with green onions salt & pepper, Garlic and fresh parsley. I have had this dish as a: patty, sausage or as a side dish with my protein.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum