Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dorm cooking and recipes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antilope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork picnic is pretty cheap, and cooks up easily and nicely in a slow cooker. Beef butt (rump roast) also works well for a stew.

Slow cooking is super easy, one pot cooking. It needs little attention, so students can study (yeah, right!) or party while it cooks. Slow cooking has the added bonus of giving a delicious smell to a typically stuffy/gamey dorm room.

A couple ways to go with the pork picnic:
1. Go with an Asian theme. I call it a 'stew-fry' picnic.
Add a drizzle of olive oil. Make a slurry of corn starch and water (about 1.25 cups), and add it. Season to taste with combination of soy sauce, lemon pepper, brown sugar and garlic. Add a pinch of black pepper (no salt needed, as soy sauce has plenty). Cook picnic for ~7 hrs. After ~7 hrs, add the veggies. Add a quartered small onion, a can of bamboo shoots, a can of water chestnuts, and green peppers (pieces cut no smaller than 1.5" square). Can also add carrots or pineapple, if you like (if you add pineapple, reduce brown sugar or it will be too sweet). Cook another 30-45 min.

2. Go with Polish picnic.
Add a drizzle of olive oil. Add a cup of water, and garlic, salt, mustard powder, pepper to taste. Cook picnic for ~7 hrs. After ~7 hrs, add a pound bag of sauerkraut. Can also add pierogies. Cook another 30-45 min.

How to do the beef stew.
I like the taste added by browning the beef before stewing it (this step is optional), so I first sear the beef in a very hot skillet. Once browned, the beef is removed from heat.
To the slow cooker, add a drizzle of olive oil. Make a slurry of corn starch and water/beef broth (about 1.25 cups), and add it. Add pinches of salt and pepper. Add garlic to taste. Add a quartered medium onion. Cook beef for ~7 hours. After ~7 hours, add potato chunks (~1.5" cubes) and carrots. Cook for another 30-45 min.

I tried to keep the recipes to a few ingredients, as students cannot store a lot of items. Enjoy!
shweta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Recipes Reply with quote

Being an engineer myself I remember the hostel cooking where all we had is a sandwich maker , we cooked various kinds like:
1. Cheese Sandwich
2.Mutton /chicken cheese sandwich
3. omlete bread
4. Mushroom Sandwich
5. Cheese Tomato Sandwich
6. APPLE/BANANA sandwich

we saved a lot money beleive me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum