Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CraftSteak Las Vegas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: CraftSteak Las Vegas Reply with quote

so . . . we decided to do a little way-cationing.

went to Las Vegas. we've been there a couple times - this trip we learned we're just plain Vegas'ed out.

you have to eat, right?

going full bore mad-as-a-hatter, we did din-din at Tom Colicchio's CraftSteak;
opted for the three course "menu" thingie with the wine parings.
one specialty is "domestic Wagyu" - I had the skirt steak, DW went for the filet.

starters: skewer sauted shrimp, red&green tomato slices on greens.
sides: potato puree, smoky caramelized fresh kernel corn, steamed/poached(?) asparagus.

starters&sides were drool generating tasty with just perfectly done seasonings / flavors.

DW pronounced the beef the best she has ever eaten - and I'd second that on my skirt steak. perfectly cooked, no knife required (seriously!) and the portions - despite the 'cost' of Kobe style beef - were generous - we had to struggle a bit to finish.

never had the opportunity to dine on the 'good stuff' - some place that advertise Wagyu/Kobe beef, but what I've tried elsewhere did not remotely resemble the taste&texture of the CraftSteak prep.

desert course was a medley of fruit ice creams/gelato and chocolate soufflé. unfortunately the deserts did not make the same 'over the top' impression as the rest of the menu. very good stuff, but...

wine parings:
warning - take my opinions with grains of sea salt - I'm not a big fan of red wines.
three cabernet sauvignon:
2006 Jordon
2006 Grossbarn - main course
2007 Garric Cellar

the Jordon and Grossbarn worked for me, however left my socks on.
the choice of a cab sav. for a sweet desert course was not well thought out. I questioned that during the pre-order discussion - I suspect the Garric was initially planned with a fruit&cheese assortment in mind - where it would have worked quite well - but with ice cream, we left most of the glass.

Overall:
Recommended for a splurge event.

CraftSteak is not an inexpensive meal - to a degree the cost can be more modest by selective ala carte choices.

Service and staff were superb; environment was very nice – not loud, not crowded, not rushed, not stuffed-shirty.

opting for the chef menu worked for us.
the wine parings were a big disappointment.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. The steak dinner I had at CraftSteak at the MGM in Las Vegas a couple of years ago was wonderful.

I have never been to CraftSteak in NYC, now re-opened as Colicchio's, but plan to go soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum