Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Sweet Corn Bread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Sweet Corn Bread Reply with quote

Article Digest:
A week and a half ago, I tried out the corn bread recipe from the back of the Albers Corn Meal box. I remade the recipe recently increasing the sugar from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. I also substituted the Albers cornmeal with local organic corn meal. Since I tossed the remaining oil in the bottle of canola oil that I used last time, I also used newly opened canola oil in this recipe. The results were much better, but the corn meal was too coarse for my taste (I keep getting corn bits stuck in my teeth). The flavor was pretty good, not too sweet, but enough sugar for my sweet tooth. Sugar quantity will have to be something adjusted for individual taste.

Here's the new recipe summary (complete with metric conversions):
Modified Albers Corn Bread (serves nine)
<td colspan=4 style="text-align:center">Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
1 cup (160 g) yellow corn mealcombinestirbake 400°F (200°C) 20 min.
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1 Tbs. (14 g) baking powder
1 tsp. (6 g) salt
1 cup (240 mL) whole milkwhisk
1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
1 large egg
Copyright Michael Chu 2004
Glutnix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot one vital Metric Conversion... degrees F to degrees C

I might just try this recipe this weekend Smile
Chris

For future reference -

Farenheit to Celcius:
(Farenheit - 32) * 5/9 = Celcius

Celcius to Farenheit:
(Celcius * 9/5) + 32 = Farenheit

where the * is the symbol for multiplication.

One suggestion for the coarse gritty corn meal is to soak the corn meal in the milk at least an hour before baking. Mix milk and cornmeal, let sit on the counter an hour, them add the remaining ingrediants and bake as normal.
Alredhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the person(s) that is posting anonymously? Are they a chef or a know-it-all?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some one who's not interested in extending the Blogger hegemony by subscribing to an account.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blogger hegemony?

What about MovableType/TypePad?
rolandog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, it'd be so, um... professional, if you'd referr to the Temperatures in Rankine and Kelvin

I made a small Excel doc that converts temperatures by specifying a numeric temperature, and a unit from a droplist.
The file can be downloaded from here
I used the same function in a document I made earlier where I wanted to find an enthalpy value from a table, so interpolation and other stuff was key in that doc, and had to be made in specific units.

I can design a complete document if you'd like to include conversions for each kind of unit (mass, distance, etc.)
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just use Google. Search for "3.5tsp to ml" and you'll get "2 US cups = 473.176475 ml"

Try it!

It works for most unit conversions.
Jack Friesner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make cornbread using a puree of canned corn mixed with half and half to replace the liquid portion. To me, it adds sweetness and a more "corny" flavor to the cornbread.

In regards to conversions... I like to go to www.onlineconversion.com to get all my unit conversion needs...
shed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo home dog that some serious cookiin yo
Magicfingers

By no means do I claim to be a great cook or engineer, but I have a question about sweet cornbread. I was raised in the south and we never sweetened our cornbread (which we ate every day). I was introduced to this practice when I moved to California. Which is more popular? Sweet or unsweetened? Have you ever made mexican cornbread?

Oddly enough... I grew up in the South as well (Alabama) and now live in California. We always had sweet cornbread growing up, and now I'm stuck with horrible, crumbly arid substitues here in California.

My mom always uses the old Albers Corn Meal recipe, before they changed it. I don't remember it exactly, but instead of oil, it used butter or shortening that you cut in to the corn meal with a pastry cutter prior to adding the other ingredients. I never remember it being gritty. I can post/email it if anyone wants.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted my favorite corn bread recipe:

http://www.aquick.org/blog/index.php?p=49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: