Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Sweet Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachel378

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I am currently living in Poland and I needed to make cornbread for the school I am teaching at. I was able to find a very fine corn flour that I am trying with this recipe. I was struggling to find all the ingredients here but thankfully I stumbled across your recipe and it has everything I have. Plus you already converted everything. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! This was a BIG lifesaver.
steveddion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: values... Reply with quote

for everyone having issues with conversions, this page
covers it all; temperature, volume, weight, whatever you
need. for everything in life, not just cooking

http://www.metric4us.com/calculator.html
lostonline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Y'all come on now Reply with quote

I'm still no closer to understanding how I'm supposed to alter this recipe on the back of the Jiffy Corn Muffin box, but I've learned enough to get me through dinner tomorrow night. So thanks for that, all of ye above.

However, I'm a little disappointed in how you all are conducting yourselves. Because everybody else seems to think it's important to tell you their personal background, I'll offer that I've lived in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas (only briefly as to the latter) my whole life. I've never left. It's not a fancy fairy tale where people sit around drinking tea on front porches all day every day – we just do it when the weather is tolerable (less often than you'd think). But we do tend to care very deeply about our traditions. I fear some of you may have misinterpreted Ms. Lutie's tone perchance. I understand – I run into ladies like her every day where I live (Jackson, MS). You think she's talking to you like you're a child, maybe the child of a lady at church she doesn't care for, and she's telling you how dumb your mom is for adding sugar or using a store-bought mix. That might be exactly how she feels saying it. The truth is, it's nice to think you're so right about something it might as well be in the Bible. Around here, we'll preach about anything, but food plays a big part of our religious practices too (don't call any southerner on a Sunday at 12:15 p.m. because she's either at Popeye's or Picadilly's).

And yes, southern food is saltier, because we like decadence in our flavor. It does have too much lard, because most of us can't afford to eat richly often – and we don't mind a few extra pounds to love. And most of the food that makes us feel the most comfortable grew out of some of the strongest and most resilient spirits to ever live in the South (that is, slaves, not the soldiers who actually ended up learning to cook on the cheap from the former after the Confederacy fell). But feel free to refine the recipes if you like. To be perfectly honest, Lutie's recipe just doesn't sound like much fun to me, but I like lots of ingredients and lots of sugar. I'm planning on using honey myself.

As for you all getting so heated over a stranger preaching about her "right" way, forgive me for saying you should stop being such a wimp. Dozens of people have come onto this forum and contradicted the others' "right" ways of cooking frickin cornbread. Calm down, children. Are you truly so offended? Over sugar? That a strange lady living thousands of miles away and not remotely interested in coming back to this site would tell you that adding sugar to cornbread is a dishonor to your family - what, are you gonna cry? Jeez.

Here's a bit of advice. If you get so mad you find yourself attacking the keyboard with your fingers, knocking into a few extraneous collateral keys and misspelling all of your rage, stop – and then hold down backspace. Come up with something useful, that will add to the value of the conversation, and then hit period.

And now I'm done preaching. And I'll never come back to this site. Why do a few rude apples always spoil the bunch?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Big smile
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Albers Cornbread recipe Reply with quote

I've tried many cornbread recipes, but I keep coming back to the Albers recipe. It's my favorite. Thanks for posting it.
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Helpful. Reply with quote

Whatever the problem with F to C conversion, I liked the concept of giving the broad chart of heating. This will help us to bring the various color on the bread. Nice recipe. Regards, ALex
kdane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Try this for a sweeter corn bread. Reply with quote Delete this post

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup White or Yellow Corn Meal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: