Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Sweet Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amateur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Sugar in Corn Bread Reply with quote

I came here looking for a recipe for sweet cornbread because a coworker has raved about corn bread with strawberries I'm assuming like shortcake.

But I just read the last comment by lutie to which I must respond... bite me!

There will be sugar in my concoction.

And while I'm offending. I sometimes have down time at my job that allows me to surf the internet and it pays well.
Jeri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Almond Milk? Reply with quote

I cannot have milk. Has anybody ever tried making corn meal with almond milk instead of dairy milk?

BTW, the native Americans made all their bread by grinding the flour, mixing it up with whatever other ingredients they used, rolling the dough into small balls or cakes, and dropping it into rapidly boiling water or fat, and then scooping it out and eating it right away. They did not let bread "stand" because it started to taste like crap very quickly as it cooled off but was delicious when newly made.

So the idea that an older recipe is "the real thing" gets invalidated because there is always a still older recipe that came before it. I don't add sugar to cornbread, but I use maple syrup either in it or on it.
Rusty - Sacramento, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix - Copy Cat recipe Reply with quote

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix - Copy Cat recipe

Makes: 6 muffins.

When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, here’s a copycat recipe you can make at home.

This recipe is equal to one 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Makes 8.5 ounces (equal to 1-box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix) Makes 1-1/2 cups of mix. Makes 6 corn muffins.

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.

2. If another recipe is calling for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, add the above mixed ingredients to that recipe.

3. If you wish to make Corn Muffins, continue with instructions below.

4. Preheat oven to 400F.Combine above mixture with egg and milk. Mix well. Fill muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: corn muffins Reply with quote

Does anyone have Dunkin Donuts recipe for corn muffins?
shirleyjean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: sweet corn bread Reply with quote

I have tried many cornbread recipes, This is my favorite for sweet corn bread: 1- box betty crocker butter recipe yellow cake mix (18.25oz), 3 eggs, 1-cube butter melted, 1-1/4 cups milk, (or 1-1/2 cups buttermilk), 1 heaping cup cornmeal, 1- teaspoon baking powder. bake in 9x13 oiled glass dish for 30 min, oven temp:350 degrees. (You can use 1/3 cup of oil instead of butter and is just as good).
RedNeckBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Corn Meal Reply with quote

I have tried several different brands of corn meal, some gritty some not so gritty. I have settled on Indian Head brand which seems to be a finer grind.
I am from the South (North Carolina) and appreciate both sweet and no sugar corn bread. To me, they are completley different entities each with their own pros and cons. I treat the two as a fine wine, you have to pair them with what you are cooking! Also, wouldn't dream of using anything other than a cast iron skillet in the oven, the crust this method produces is part of what corn bread is all about to a Southerner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: jiffy rocks Reply with quote

try the jiffy mix! not gritty.

preheat your oven, then

double the milk--for which you should sub buttermilk if you can--light. light result. mix your egg(s) into the milk well with a fork, then add in the "jiffy" till just incorporated, just a few stirs. let rest for 10 minutes or more, then with rubber spatula gently transfer the now lightly risen batter into

an iron skillet in which you have melted butter in your preheating oven:
for 1 box, melt half a stick (4 oz.) in an 8 inch skillet
for 2 boxes, melt 1 stick in a 10 or 12 inch one

it is delicious. it is southern. you will gobble up every crumb. it is wonderful with everything and if you are ever lucky enough to have a leftover serving, butter the cold top and reheat in the oven till it's warm and you will never have a better breakfast.

you'll love it.

i love your site.

PS bake this cornbread about 10 minutes longer than the jiffy box instructions call for, like, 20 minutes for 1 box, 30 for 2. the top should be quite golden brown.
chuckster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: corn bread Reply with quote

While an engineering student at Lehigh, I often had lunch at a diner sort of place just off campus. Posted on the wall was a sign that offered:

Around here, pie are round and corn bread are square.
Ng. Fai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: help? Reply with quote

Right now I'm abroad in rural SE Asia and the other Americans and I recently were struck with a serious craving for cornbread.

We managed to get cornmeal brought by a friend, but we are lacking in some important cooking implements. Thais do not use ovens, or cast-iron anything.

What we do have is a basic frying pan, a gas powered stove-top and a charcoal fueled ceramic bucket-shaped thing which they use for grilling fish and meat. We have made regular bread successfully by putting the risen dough inside a large ceramic pot and cooking it briefly over the charcoal fire. However, we are now at a loss for how to approach the cornbread challenge. Does any one have any ideas?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"muffin tin" substitute inside the clay pot/oven?
Jim From Boston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Sweet corn bread Reply with quote

I've made a lot of variations on cornbread, and generally speaking, Southern Style corn breads tend to be salty and have little or no flour vs corn meal. In New England where I live, there is something called Great Northern cornbread. This is best made in a cast iron skillet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, or 205C. In a large sized mixing bowl whisk 1 cup of stone ground corn meal such as Indian Head, or Bob's Red Mill, with 1 cup of unbleached white flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Melt 1/4 pound of unsalted butter in a cast iron skillet. Leave the skillet on the stove on low heat while you mix the wet and dry ingredients. Pour the melted butter into a second mixing bowl, whisk in 1 cup of milk, and 1 egg. Add the liquid mixture to the dry, turning the mixture over with a rubber spatula until fully mixed. Pour the batter into the warm skillet. It should sizzle as the batter flows in. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean from the bread. Lay a dinner plate upside down on top of the warm cornbread 10 minutes after it come out of the oven, and invert it over while keeping your hand on the plate. The bread should easily pop out of the pan ready to serve.
pizzaguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornbread Reply with quote

lutie wrote:
There is nothing more debated (other than one's fried chicken recipe or pecan pie recipe) than a cornbread recipe.
Please do not insult corn bread by putting sugar in it. You are doing a disfavor to yourself and your family.

Agree wholeheartedly. I grew up in East Texas and SW Arkansas and this was the way my mom and both my grandmothers made cornbread and one of them was from Southern Louisiana.

As for the cast iron skillet used only for cornbread, it is also used to cook bacon or fatback in order to keep the seasoning flavor in the pan. My mother got her cast iron set from her great-aunt who had ordered it out of a Sears catalog in 1898. When I left home to go out on my own, she gave me her cornbread skillet which is now well over a 100 years old and still making great cornbread.

amateur wrote:
But I just read the last comment by lutie to which I must respond... bite me!

There will be sugar in my concoction.

Don't get hostile, there nothing wrong with putting sugar in it but some folks call that corn cake and not corn bread. Cornbread is just one of those things that how you grew up eating it (if it was good to you) is how you consider it to be right. My mother made corn muffins in the little corn shaped muffin pans and she always made those with sugar. I think she used the Jiffy Mix as mentioned elsewhere and used sour cream and creamed corn.

Go ahead, experiment, you can't succeed without failing a few times when you go out on a limb and that is part of the fun. I think that is one of the things that draws a lot of people to forums like this. Its the trying that is fun and when you make a change that works write it down then crow about it on these forums.
none

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: natural sweetness Reply with quote

A lot have people have mentioned the differences in sweetness of the cornbreads/ corn/ cornmeal. I would like to say that I have lived in many very different corn producing regions, all corn is different. Where I live now the corn is so sweet this year I can hardly eat it, other years it has been very plain. These factors such as corn variety, soil, moisture, all change the flavor of the starting product. So, if someone wants to use sugar, they might not have the best corn/ cornmeal to start with, or maybe they tried some that was made with super sweet corn/cornmeal and believe thats the best way.
rubymad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: cornbread, sweet or not Reply with quote

Lutie....do get a life! The first person who initiated this discussion forum specifically looked for a sweet corn bread recipe. You did not have to be hostile toward him/her or anyone who does indeed add sugar in their corn bread (which apparently, is called corn cake rather than corn bread). I bet if one digged in your life, you'd be filled with millions of imperfections; have experimented plenty (and if you ar elucky, hopefully it's just not with your corn meal). If you ar egoing to be this kind of a pissy self-righteous b...tch, cloe your computer and dont ever advance one mor eword in ant forum. We don't like negative, up my ass kind a people like you.

As for this forum...great ideas on corn bread recipes and variations. Ignore the likes of Lutie....she needs a real happy life!
anon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Southern Cooking? Reply with quote

Don't worry about Lutie, Southerns are the worst cooks anyway. Dry, gritty cornbread, unimaginable pig parts, mushy vegetables and too much lard & salt. Folks are doing them a favor when they improve their recipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: