Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Sweet Corn Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boygeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: cornbread cooking table Reply with quote

ok the corn bread look sgreat but i like the table more then anything. The table makes cooking so much easier. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Muffins Reply with quote

I also use Albers (white) cornmeal. I do not, however, strictly follow the recipe on the box. This is how I prepare my cornbread muffins:
1-1/2 cup plain cornmeal
1 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 or 6 heaping tablespoons sugar (depending on taste)
1/4 cup Crisco Oil
1 large egg
1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cup whole milk
Crisco Shortening

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Liberally grease 12-cup muffin tin with Crisco shortening & set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar). In a large measuring cup put Crisco oil, egg, & enough milk to fill cup. Stir briskly until well mixed. This mixture should be slightly yellow-looking when mixed properly. Now pour this in with the dry ingredients & stir until well-blended. You may add more milk - a little at a time - as needed to make a very smooth yet NOT too runny batter. Pour batter into muffin tin. Let filled muffin tin sit on counter for about 6-7 minutes BEFORE you place it in the oven. This will give you very pretty peaks on your muffins once they have baked. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check muffins after 20 minutes of baking. Muffins should be a pretty shade of medium brown when done.
pokchop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Reply with quote

I know this may sound a little bumpkin, but where I am from in the midwest a lot of locals use Jiffy cornbread mix. I just add some canned cream corn, honey and butter for sweetness. Also nice to use in tamale pie.

Thanks for the wonderful website!
nwtreat

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Jiffy's Cornbread Mix Reply with quote

I am new to this website; Love It! I also love all of these postings. This is great way to pass my time here at work. I love to cook and here is an addition to the last comment using Jiffy Mix.

I use 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix; follow the directions and then add 1 small can of creamed corn & 1 jalapeno pepper - minced. The bread comes out naturally sweetand moist; from the creamed corn I would guess. Yummy. It pairs well with homemade black bean soup, garnished with chopped green onions & Mexican table cream. COLD BEER! I'm otta here...

Seattle, WA
More Honey!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Work? Reply with quote

Are you kidding me? You need to pass your time at work by reading recipies??? Please tell me you aren't working for me.. ..or the Govt...

Have a nice "Labor Day" holiday.. ...you've earned it..
mia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: let's keep it friendly Reply with quote

You know, people, let's keep the obnoxious cracks out of this forum. If you want to be critical of someone, there are plenty of other opportunities (if that is how you chooose to approach life). I wish I could search the internet at work, too, but the job that offeres that opportunity probably doesn't pay enough to live on. There are tradeoffs to everything. So, let's get back to cooking, eh?! And some politeness would be nice.
lori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: cornbread Reply with quote

I am looking for a recipe for cornbread that includes creamed corn, sour cream and Jiffy Cornbread mix. It is an old recipe from my grandmother and I can not find it anymore. Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: In response to Lori's request Reply with quote

LORI: I think it goes something like this. one and one half boxes of jiffy , 2 eggs, i 8 oz can creamed corn, 8 oz sour cream, one stick melted butter. mix all together. place in buttered 9x 13 pan and bake at 375 for about 45 minute. but i can't remember if it also calls for condensed milk. the reason i'm on this site is that i'm trying to confirm my memory for the same recipe! A
heathernwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Jiffy Sweet Corncake Recipe Reply with quote

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. It is:

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 egg
8 oz. sour cream
14 oz. can creamed corn
1 stick melted butter
1 cup frozen corn, unthawed.

Mix all together and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

You have to watch it, oven temps vary and it's easy to overdo it and then it's dry. I just cook it until it's cracked on top and still moist in the middle. I use a 2 qt. casserole sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, rather than a 9x13 pan.
Hal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Double Recipe Reply with quote

I just tried this, and it turned out great. For anyone who's reading this far and thinking of making a double recipe, count on a 30 minute cook time. At 20 minutes, in a 13x9 pan, there was still raw batter in the middle. At 30 minutes, it was perfect.
bebe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: corn bread Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have recently discovered that I am allergic to corn. I really missed grits so tried it with millet instead with reasonable results. Has anyone tried to recreate a corn bread recipe using millet? If so, please be so kind as to share it with me.
editrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: coarse corn meal Reply with quote

I get my milk or buttermilk to room temp and then soak the cornmeal for awhile before mixing everything together. That tends to minimize coarseness.
Bruce R Leech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use corn flower instead of wheat flower for better flavor and texture. I also prefer butter to the oil or if you want it really good use bacon drippings. this is the way the original corn bread was made.
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Recipe for corn bread Reply with quote

I went to the link provided here for the better version of the recipe that was posted and I don't have a membership.
Could it be posted here instead?

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=29718

Great site by the way.
lutie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Cornbread Reply with quote

There is nothing more debated (other than one's fried chicken recipe or pecan pie recipe) than a cornbread recipe. I am a true southerner who was brought up with the knowledge that cornbread was being made by Native Americans long before the first Europeans settled the Americas.

"The earliest cornbreads were called "pone", from the Algonquin word "apan", and were a simple mixture of cornmeal, salt, and water." (Found on the web)

My daddy grinds his own cornmeal still to this day. It is made from white corn, not yellow corn meal. In fact, only hickory cane corn is the seed that should be used to make cornbread. This is hard to find, as so many of the seeds today are genetically altered. Shame on Monsanto!

Cornbread is supposed to be gritty! Real cornbread is supposed to have a "bite" to it or a "grit". It does not have sugar in it, but is served with local sorghum molasses and/or honey (which you got from the bee hive in a tree), or homemade blackberry jam.

If it has sugar in it, it is called a Johnny Cake, according to those of us who live in the South. If you put sugar in your corn bread, then it is not corn bread, but corn "cake". Corn Bread does not have sugar in it.
The original recipe was made with the meal itself... there was no sugar available in the woods.

You use bacon grease to grease your cast iron pan (which is only used to make corn bread and nothing else); get it smokin' hot and pour part of the hot grease into the bowl with the batter. Immediately stir the batter and put it in the hot pan. It has to sizzle when you put it in.

There is no flour in corn bread. We purists know how it is to be made. If you come to my table and eat my corn bread, you will never, ever go back to the sweet junk again. It is supposed to be crunchy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth delicious on the inside. You dissolve the baking soda in buttermilk before adding it to the meal.

One never, ever uses soap on their corn bread pan. You just wipe it out and it is ready for the next meal.

If you cannot get fresh ground meal in your neighborhood, order it from a mill. If not, White Lily or Martha White make a fairly decent corn bread mix which could be used in a pinch. The mixes contain flour, but they are certainly better than Jiffylube.

Please do not insult corn bread by putting sugar in it. You are doing a disfavor to yourself and your family.

Hoe cakes (a.k.a. corn cakes) are made with either milk or hot water from a tea kettle. They are fried on top of the stove and look like pancakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: