Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harvard School of Public Health and potato starches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfood

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Harvard School of Public Health and potato starches Reply with quote

On the Harvard School of Public Health's 'The Nutrition Source' site among other good science-based information I notice they repeatedly suggest omitting potatoes from the diet. Little odd but potatoes are higher glycemic index foods I guess. Then I read:

"For example, the starch in white bread and French-fried potatoes clearly qualifies as a complex carbohydrate. Yet the body converts this starch to blood sugar nearly as fast as it processes pure glucose."
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html

I find that interesting. I was under the impression polysaccharide carbohydrates were digested and reached the bloodstream significantly slower than monosaccharides like glucose. Glucose is hardly digested so much as absorbed straight away, really. Is there something special about potato starches?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum