Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Green bean casserole. Reply with quote

The original recipe called for a teaspoon of soy sauce. I haven't seen this ingredient listed in recent years but I still use it. I think it adds flavor.
PURPLE PANTHER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Bacon and green beans Reply with quote

I've been asked to make green bean cassarole for thanksgiving dinner . I always remembered my grandmother putting bacon and onions with her green beans . Just wondering if this would work with the green bean cassarole . Has anyone tried this ? Thanks for helping
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>work with the green bean casserole

absolutely. shallots, leeks, scallions, salt pork - many things can dress it up.

the Campbell recipe calls for the fried onion rings on top - but that's not a must either - I've used cracker crumbs, grated cheese . . .
hambone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Forget cream of mushroom Reply with quote

We always use cream of asparagus, much more flavor, everyone in my family likes it better
childj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: made ahead for travel Reply with quote

I made this ahead of time so I can take it to my mother's house. We will be on the road for a few hours. Should I refrigerate then bake when we get there or freeze it now? I'm worried about the texture if it sits in the fridge for 2 days before baking. If I do freeze it how do I prepare when ready? Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point in time, T-Day minus xx hrs,,,, I'd keep it covered & chilled. it'll be okay for a couple hours in the car.

don't add the "toppings" of a crispy nature - take those along "dry" and add at going into the oven. . .
mappymappu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: no french fried onions? Reply with quote

Hi all - I'm living in the UK and would like to make a green bean caserole for friends I'm having over tomorrow (even a couple of other Americans!) however I have never seen French Fried Onions here and due to time constraints can't really go searching high and low for them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative topings or a variation of the recipe that doesn't need the FFO?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
guess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

Do u add 10 cans of cream of mushroom soup? Please someone reply...confused
Grandma Jennifer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: <10 cans?> Reply with quote

One 10 ounce can. Not 10 cans (unless you're feeding a whole lot of people!)
SteveInJapan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Toppings Reply with quote

I really like french fried onions, and I still think they make the best topping for this. However, I agree with some of the above posts that there are other options that make for tasty variation.

Today I went to a Thanksgiving dinner for a local teachers group. For ease of transport, I just took all the ingredients in their cans, but I think it would be fine, or even blend the flavors better if you mixed all but the topping and chilled it and kept it cool during transportation. I arrived at the community center to find that I had everything but the french fried onion! Fortunately, there were some potato chips someone had opened during prep time, so I helped myself to the last quarter bag. I crunched the chips up and when the casserole was ready for them, spread them on top. It turned out really well!

Next time I think I may try some chip-style onion ring snacks. Break those up and sprinkle them on top. I think that might even be better than the french fried onions.
donna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

ok this is the best: mix 1 can green beans, 1 can mushroom soup(used other cream soup flavours and was ok i.e.cream chicken), 1/2 c. shredded cheese,1/4 c. slivered almonds, 1/2 can french onions or I also ues the bagged salad toppers in a wide variety of flavours. mix together bake at 350 for 30 mins. put the rest of the onions on top and bake for ten more. yum yum
justme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: It's a perfect camp food, too Reply with quote

My family makes this casserole on camping trips (well, car camping anyway...it's kind of bulky for backpacking). It's not only great tasting, but you can adapt the recipe to make it from non-perishables so you can have it even when you're several days out from refrigeration. We've successfully made it over a camp stove, charcoal grill and open campfire, depending on circumstances. ( BTW, I suspect there would be no problem with a crock pot, in response to an earlier post.) Biggest thing to watch out for: the French's Fried Onions tend to evaporate while you are preparing the meal, so make sure you have plenty on hand.
Ilana

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: frozen green beans Reply with quote

i want the green bean casserole to taste good and i'm afraid if i cook the green beans and then put them in the oven they will be too mushy. what should i do? should i just used canned instead? this will be the 1st time im making this dish too.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the beans don't continue cooking very much after you put them in the casserole. I guess I should add, never baked it for hours and hours either....

you can use canned - heat through and put in casserole.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: frozen green beans Reply with quote

Ilana wrote:
i want the green bean casserole to taste good and i'm afraid if i cook the green beans and then put them in the oven they will be too mushy. what should i do? should i just used canned instead? this will be the 1st time im making this dish too.

Canned beans will almost guarantee mushy. I use canned since mushy is the texture that (I think) green bean casserole should be. It's pretty much the only time I like mushy green beans. I once had a green bean casserole where the green beans were lightly cooked (what I would normally consider just right) and disliked it. The crunch in this dish should come from the french fried onion topping and the beans should be cooked until soft (so the texture is smooth and almost creamy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: