Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Campbell's Casserole Reply with quote

When I was a kid I remember my mom adding canned Tuna to the recipe. Does anyone remember this? Does anyone know the correct amount of Tuna to use in this recipe?
tyffaniet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Tuna substitution Reply with quote

Oh my, I so remember this, My mom used tuna instead to french onions and I remember it with very fond memories.

It was the recipe with the tuna I was looking for Laughing Out Loud but I tried it without tuna and made it in the crockpot, like it better with tuna..

Trying the tuna one tonight in the crock pot
Anne in Brewerton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

Here is a recipe I've been using for the past 35 years with rave reviews. I like it so much better than the one on the Campbell's soup can.

2 cans french style green beans, drained
1 can regular (not fat free or low sodium) Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
1 small can french fried onion rings
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix soup, 1/2 can onion rings, and Worcestershire sauce in large bowl. Add green beans and toss gently to coat. Cover with foil and warm in oven for 20 mins. Remove foil, sprinkle top with remaining onion rings, and heat for 10 more minutes. Serve hot.

Makes 6 servings
PegWolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Substitutuion for mushroom soup Reply with quote

Many people we have dinner with absolutely hate mushrooms. Has anyone made this casserole and tried to use other cream of.. soups in the recipe? Other than that I guess we won't be eating this casserole!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Cheesy green bean casserole Reply with quote

My mother in law made a variation of this dish last year for thanksgiving. Instead of using cream of mushroom soup, put in half a can of original rotel (or mild if you don't do spicy), some milk and velveeta cheese. It tastes awesome!
paula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

I also use the cambells cream of mushroom, but i like to ad mushrooms, shallots and frozen grean beans. I also don't like the french fried onions I prefer to top my green bean casserole with a panko bread crumbs. yummy! As an added bonus you can also throw a bit of parmesan cheese and scallions on top of the pankop crust..
happy holidays
Vickers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Green Bean casserole Reply with quote

Okay, I am asked to make Green Bean Casserole, never made it before. I accidently bought Shoe String Potatoes instead of french fried onions. Will this work????? Please Help.......
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Green Bean casserole Reply with quote

Vickers wrote:
I accidently bought Shoe String Potatoes instead of french fried onions. Will this work????? Please Help.......

That's not going to work (if the shoe string potatoes are pre-cooked then it might end up tasting fine, but it won't be the green bean casserole that you're used to or intending to make). If you do make it with the french fries, let us know how it came out - who knows, you might have invented a better tasting recipe.
Ella

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Canned Green Bean casserole Reply with quote

For the laziest cooks. Honestly, I found cans (and I believe it was Campbells, but it was a while ago so don't quote me) of Green Bean Casserole with the beans and the soup already together. Just pop the top, spread in baking pan, heat, top with French Fried Onions and eat. Ahhh, the height of laziness.

Because, as we all know, opening ALL those cans (Three - count them - three!!!) and mixing them together is soooo hard!

Laughing Out Loud
bied

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Green bean carassole, there should be a standard Reply with quote

The classic green bean casserole should be documented in IEEE and Webster with the statement “containing Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup”. I am not be adverse to eating variations using ...of celery or …of onion or other pleasing combinations. I have used combination of canned/frozen and french/straight cut and they can all work well. The key is to make sure the sauce is cooked to a thick consistency, and of course seasoned to your personal taste. Addition of cheese is a plus, Velveeta ( the spam of cheese) is an excellent choice , cheddar and Swiss are good options for an upscale. With our diverse culture I would agree that Panko bread crumbs are a good variation to the original ( not so popular ) ‘french’ fried onion’s, just make sure they are cooked to be nice and crispy on top. Well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make this with celery soup because im a hater of mushrooms in general, and it always turns out great. I also add garlic salt too it, though garlic powder would probably be better because if you put too much it makes it too salty and lots of pepper. I tried chili powder once but put too much (ICK) and sometimes if you add cheese it will be all oily on top if i dont stir it half way through.

Tuna casserole is a different recipe, but sooo similar. You use two cans of tuna, and basically the same ingredients, except you also put in two (cooked) cups of egg noodles.
magnoliasouth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Disagree with Karen Reply with quote

You most certainly can use any cream of mushroom, as long as you like it. I've had a few store brands that tasted just as good as Campbell's and I've had some soups that are much better than Campbell's.

It really depends on your taste. Try it and if you don't like it, then don't use it again. Don't rely on opinions alone.
HayleyJeremich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

I have a question... Is this dish supposed to come out watery?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

HayleyJeremich wrote:
I have a question... Is this dish supposed to come out watery?

No, it's fairly thick. Did you drain the liquid from the green beans? The only liquid you should be adding is the 3/4 cup milk.
HayleyJeremich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't made it. I was just wondering because i've had it too watery before... but thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: