Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please recommend a good, serviceable pepper mill!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: please recommend a good, serviceable pepper mill! Reply with quote

I have had so many, and eventually, they all fall apart or become useless. I only use them to grind pepper. Even the Peugeot fell apart, unlike the tank of a car they make! Now I am reduced to using brown paper and a hammer to break up peppercorns. This works, but I don't want to go to that trouble when I just want a little pepper for my egg...Help! Desparate!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wmboundsltd.com/

Wm Bounds - good quality - not price outrageous, guaranteed forever. had mine since 1992, nadda problem - daily use.
this one: http://www.wmboundsltd.com/shopexd.asp?id=48

I prefer the style with the crank handle - easier on the cook than the twist top design, methinks.
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: merci so much Reply with quote

Dear Dilbert - As you can see, I was sitting right here, obsessively checking my email with bated breath to see what might be recommended...and again, Cooking for Engineers, and you, Dilbert, thrillingly, come sailing in with the answer in the TIMELIEST manner! Thank you. A couple years ago, I bought that thermapen thermometer c for e recommended, and it is amazingly perfect for everything, even though it set me back a C-note!))))) Cheers - pbone
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw schucks... my pleasure.

there's most certainly other "really good ones" out there - once I bought one that worked, I stopped shopping (g)

>>'pensive Thermapen
yeah, they are a tad pricey, sigh.
I don't have quite so many qualms about shelling about the bucks for something that has no moving parts and no electronics. all that there fancy electronical stuff works by smoke and mirrors, and if you let the smoke out it usually stops working.....
yocona

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Wm Bounds recommendation, as well as the crank. I had one for years. Sadly, my ex got it in the divorce, and I've been too broke to replace it.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too went with the William Bounds with the crank because you can really spin it fast for a lot of ground pepper. You can set the grind at fine, medium or coarse. You can get them here:

http://www.pcfallon.com/p-9626-love-american-black-walnut-pepper-mill-4-12-in.aspx

I have two of them for different types of pepper (one for melange and one for black pepper), and they are about thirty years old. The varnish is wearing because I sometimes pick them up with wet hands when I'm cooking, but the grinders still work like they were new.

For table use, I have the Peugeot braided stainless steel grinder that I love, but I searched for a link for it without success. I believe it has been discontinued. Anyway, the Peugeot grinders are also wonderful.
pbone

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! I bought the William Bounds w/cranking handle and three settings, and it arrived yesterday, full of mixed peppercorns! Used it the first time tonight and am very pleased. Am most happy in anticipation of its lasting for a while, unlike the ones I keep having to replace. Cheers!
mata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive alternative Reply with quote

I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to suggest a more utilitarian and slightly less expensive alternative: Oxo Pepper Grinder

It has a good feel, has 5 grind settings and is easily cleaned.
cynicalb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too late for this question, but I recommend the Zassenhaus. A Teutonic tank. I also have 2 William Bounds, and they are decent, but mine don't have the crank handle. The Zassenhaus does, along with ceramic grinders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum