Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coating on anodized pans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss chief

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: coating on anodized pans Reply with quote

OK. I'm confused. Can someone confirm, deny, or clarify the following info?

1. Anodization of a pan creates an Al Oxide coating that prevents Al from leaking into the food. True or False?

2. The Al Oxide coating from the anodization process is non-stick? True or False.

3. Manufacturers of pans add non-stick coatings to their hard anodized pans. (Ex. Circulon has an Autograph coating by DuPont.) True or False?
-- Or is Autograph just a proprietary way of doing the anodization process - meaning the coating consists mainly of Al Oxide (and the dyes)?

I suppose my main question is, "what is in the coatings of pans labeled 'hard-anodized' ?"

And, which substance of the coating makes it non-stick? The Al Oxide? Or 3rd party coatings?

--- Also, Circulon sometimes lists "hard-anodized Aluminum" and other times it lists "hard-anodized construction". Does that mean you can anodize something other than Al? An alloy perhaps?

Thanks,
mc
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, true is: it's mostly marketing hype.

if you dip alum into a weak sulfuric acid solution, it'll turn black - that's anodizing. the chemicals formed in the coating are semi-protective against corrosion.

hard anodizing is slightly different chemically - and the resulting coating is harder to scratch thru.

I wouldn't say hard anodized is "non-stick" - perhaps "less stick" - but not on the order of "non-stick"

as for absorbing aluminum in the diet, that aluminum causes/contributes to dementia / Alzheimer, that has been rather thoroughly debunked. it was once a doctor's theory - it's since proven inaccurate. see Alz.org for info.

you'll also find that one absorbs more aluminum from toothpaste, deodorants and pickles (yup!) than a alum pan could remotely provide.

hard anodizes looks prettier and will "wear" better, that's about it.

>>anodize something other than aluminum?
yup. lots of stuff. we have our mild steel parts anodized for a bit of rust resistance, looks snappier too....
Hexis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like wiki's description a lot:

Anodizing is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts.

It's used a lot on Al parts, some other materials have processes. I have done some (hobby style) Al and Ti parts. There are different types, some dyable to take color, others not. It's not so much a coating as a hardened layer of the metal itself. The process does add a nominal amount of material to the surface, but it's not a coating that can flake off or anything. The "hard anodizing" advertised is really just a thicker layer than "normal".

Acids can dissolve the oxide layer, so it's not dishwasher safe. I personally prefer stainless clad cookware (or cast iron for what it's good at).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum