Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Yum! Reply with quote

I made these tonight - exactly as you suggested in your post. And they were superb! Thank you for taking the time to post this recipe! It is wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting to cook for myself and I enjoyed this recipe, the pictures, and the comments made on it. Thank you!
ysophia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: great recipe! Reply with quote

tried it with 15min each side @500 degrees, with whole garlic clove - turned out great! thanks for the awesome recipe Smile
6ANGELS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: ROASTED POTATOES Reply with quote

For the roasted potatoe receipe could you add mushrooms and carrots for a roasted veggie mix? If not reccomended, could you tell me if there is such a receipe for potatoes and mushrooms....very picky eater Smile
vguinnane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Garlic Roasted Potatoes Reply with quote

I had a friend suggest using Extra Virgin Olive Oil in place of just plain oil, which could be vegetable oil, etc. He says that it tastes much better.
I am going to give it a try. There are several variations in the comments that sound very good.
Thanks,
Vince
San Jose, CA
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>olive oil (extra or other . . )

basically, we're talking roasted potatoes. "mechanically" the oil protects the surfaces of the chunks so they don't get dry & leather-like.

how to "flavor up" the potatoes is the next specific of the OP - toss in garlic & allow the heat to 'cook out' any raw garlic taste.

extra virgin, infused oils, herbs of pretty much any kind, etc. - all those variants simply boost the flavor of the dish in one direction or another. there is a marked difference between rosemary and parsley 'flavor' - which way to go is up to the cook and influenced by what else is being served.

the major trick is mastering the art/technique of getting the potato cooked and crisp. undercooked = raw potato, not so good.... overcooked = mush or burnt or dried out, again, not the best aspiration.

basically I'd say "have it your way!"

it's similar to the roasting temps - I don't disagree that high temp roasting adds a bit of vegetable caramelization, which is tasty - the danger is,,,, don't walk away - high temps = less time tolerance which can = fast disasters.

if it's all quiet / leisurely in the kitchen, I'm on it. if I've got a holiday crowd houseful with thousands of things that need precise time attention, I'm prone to temps lower&slower - more time to recovery from those "ACKK!" moments. one can always crank up the temp on a slowpoke dish - but I've learned than too late turning down the temp does not make the charcoal dissolve . . .
potatogirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Delicious!! Reply with quote Delete this post

I have made this recipe at least a dozen times and it is always amazing. The cook time for me is at least 20 minutes longer than the instructions state, but I also like them very crispy. I would go easy on the salt and pepper before putting them in the oven because the potatoes seem to absorb too much of out, literally baking right into them, thus making you double up on the salt/pepper after they come out to actually taste it. My suggestion would be to salt and pepper to taste as you mix in the garlic (last step). Happy cooking. Teasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: