Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cranberry Sauce
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Condie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My famous cranberry sauce is simple to make and always a hit. Okay, well, at least I like it. Smile

Never Fail Whole Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
12 oz can frozen Apple Juice concentrate.
12 oz pkg. Cranberries (about 3 measuring cups).
2 Tbs Sugar (white or brown)
2 Tbs Lemon Juice

Optionals:
2 Tbs Rum or Cognac or ¼ C. Red Wine
Finely chopped citrus peel
Small tart chopped apple or ¼ C. raisons
1 Tbs horseradish (if to be used only as a meat sauce)

Bring Concentrated Apple Juice to a boil while rinsing cranberries through a sieve.
Add the rinsed and drained cranberries, sugar, lemon juice, and rum (or other optionals).
Bring back to simmer, lower heat and cover.
Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If sauce is too thin, simmer additional five minutes without cover, stirring occasionally.

This is best served warm. Encourage guests to spread over their meat and dressing – European style.

Leftover cranberry sauce makes a wonderful topping for ice cream and yogurt.
Use instead of jam on your morning toast and peanut butter.
Cranberry sauce is a popular European topping for wild game.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Dried Cranberries for sauce?? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried making a sauce from dried berries? Fresh one never available where I live.
lu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: sugar Reply with quote

I make mine just as Mr. Chu does, but with only half the amount of sugar. Really, it's just fine like that. Chances are you won't miss the rest of the sugar. Also, it's okay if the sauce is still a bit warm when you eat it!

Dried cranberry query: you could probably do something with them, simmering them in water or juice, but most dried crans have quite a lot of sugar added so you probably ought not to add anymore. Can you get frozen cranberries? The natural foods grocery where I work has them frozen all year round.

I also love the canned jellied cran sauce. It seems aesthetically important, though, to get it out of the can and into a serving dish with the contours from the sides of the can, the rings, in tact!

This is a favorite food website of mine. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the recommendation for adding crushed pineapple and jalapenos. Take the recipe posted here and add one can of crushed pineapple (drained), and 3 diced jalapenos. Add the pineapple after its done cooking. The jalapenos go in with the berries so they cook down.

With 3 jalapenos, you get a bit of heat but nothing that overpowers the berries. You can add or subtract to taste, but either way its good. I made this for last Thanksgiving and everyone loved it (or so they told me).
JenniferCote

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Cranberry Relish Reply with quote

Love this basic recipe. I've done this one for years; recently added a bit of frozen orange juice concentrate afterward. The flavor goes well, and I don't even have to juice an orange and boil it down...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: