Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Turkey or Chicken Stock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that all the pan juices from my Christmas turkey (!!!) have been in the fridge in a stainless steel covered pot. I heated it on the stove to make it easier to dispose of, and it smells delicious. Is there any chance it is still ok to eat? It had no discernible mold, or anything.

Thanks!
jk
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safer is better than sorry - chuck it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, all.
The gelatin and other nutrients in bones are best recaptured by cracking them and covering with COLD water, then simmering.
I have used this method when starting with raw wings and thighs, and also when recycling that turkey carcass.
BTW, roast that carcass at 400F for an hour, or until it turns golden. Let cool before making stock.
Chicken Stock Mom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Chicken Stock Reply with quote

I only use chicken feet for chicken stock. The stock becomes a pot of gelatin after it cools. (Watch it wiggle, see it jiggle, LOL!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: pan drippings Reply with quote

I too have had pan drippings sit in the refrigerator for a few weeks and when I reheat it looks and smells fine. I see where someone said better safe--pitch it. What is the worst possible outcome? Is it bacteria? If so, wouldn't boiling it take care of it? I really hate to throw this stuff out. It's such wonderful flavor. Thanks,
guest karen
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poultry is rather infamous for
- listeria
- e. coli
- salmonella

listeria is the most prevalent baddie, but is 'under recognized' as it very rarely causes anything more than a case of diarrhea.

e. coli and salmonella have more impact - especially in the young, elderly and compromised individuals. infrequent but not unknown complications include odd-ball infections that can result in death - especially when the problem is not recognized / treated in a timely fashion.

all that said, yes - a good ten minute boil _should_ kill the nasties - if they are present.

"a few weeks" is certainly pushing the limit for "not foul tasting" - at least in my experience.
Sharon60137

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Chicken feet in stock Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been making stock for the past 6 months or so and have been experimenting with various techniques and ingredients. I recently used the carcasses of 2 roasted chickens along with a bunch of chicken feet that I purchased at an international market. The carcasses had been roasted first. To prepare the chicken feet, I boiled them for 5 minutes, then chopped off the claws (at the first knuckle). I then threw all of the bones and feet in the slow cooker and continued as usual (a little vinegar, and onions, carrots, celery and herbs for the last hour).

The stock gels beautifully but the taste is just ... different. It has a very slight bitter flavour to it. Could this have something to do with the chicken feet? They were not roasted before hand. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Sharon
sylvia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: turkey stock Reply with quote

I simmered the Turkey bones only. strained them into a lage pot.
left it in the fridge for 10 days. it has layer of fat on top. plus a lid. how long is it safe to keep before using?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>left it in the fridge for 10 days.
>> how long is it safe to keep before using?

you're past the usual guidelines at 10 days.

reheated to a boil for several minutes (killing some nasties) but taste may suffer.
akabezer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: my turkey stock is gelatinous, is this normal?? Reply with quote

I made turkey stock for the first time yesterday. I used 5 lb of turkey wings (the centers) along with chopped onion, celery and carrot along with some dried seasonings; the wings were browned prior to going into the pot followed by the veggies (after being sauteed in the same oil as the wings were browned it). They were then covered with water and 'simmered' for roughly 7 hours. I occasionally skimmed the surface as I checked the simmer level.

At first I had a slow boil which became a non-simmer (a film appeared across the top of the pot) which then, for the majority of the cooking, was, what I call a fast simmer; there were small bubbles coming to the surface.

The stock sat at room temperature for a few hours before going into the fringe. I just pulled it out of the fridge to remove the top layer of fat to find that under a thin layer of yellowish fat was a big bowl of gelatinous goo. IS THIS NORMAL??? I was expecting a liquid under the fat, not goo. Is this the result of boiling out the collagen from the bones??
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>under a thin layer of yellowish fat was a big bowl of gelatinous goo. IS THIS NORMAL???

a-yup. totally "normal" where the scraps have given up their gelatin.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
>>under a thin layer of yellowish fat was a big bowl of gelatinous goo. IS THIS NORMAL???

a-yup. totally "normal" where the scraps have given up their gelatin.

Not only would I call it "normal", I would say that that is a sign that your stock was a success. It's all that gelatin (from denatured collagen) that thickens your soup into a Jell-O consistency. This gelatin is what sets homemade stock from store bought and give it that extra richness and unctuousness that makes soup so good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: time in freezer Reply with quote

What is the absolute longest, you can keep the stock frozen, w/o it going bad?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: time in freezer Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
What is the absolute longest, you can keep the stock frozen, w/o it going bad?

In theory, they can be held indefinitely before going bad (especially if kept in deep freeze like a chest freezer as opposed to a self-defrosting freezer). In reality, off flavors might be detectable after six months to a year. There should be no health risk, just flavor/taste alteration.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: stock in freezer Reply with quote

Thank you, appreciate it!!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: