Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Turkey or Chicken Stock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenthrive

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Breaking the bones Reply with quote

I was wondering if breaking the bones would contribute to a more flavorful stock as well.
bjhicks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

Unfortunately I didn't find your site till AFTER my turkey broth attempts! I made stock for the first time yesterday without a recipe, just remembering what my dad used to do. I started it late in the evening, turned it off at 1:00 a.m. and left it sitting on the stove top all night. This morning I took all the big pieces out, but my husband says I can't use it now because it's unsafe after sitting out so long (8 hours). Wah! Must I throw it out? Can I re-boil it and make it safe?
hello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: RE:Overnight stock cooling Reply with quote

Don't blame me if you get sick, but I'm very sure you won't. It was very likely above 140F for a few hours, so it was under 140F for a lot less than eight hours. Boil it if you want, but I wouldn't bother, especially if it was covered.
soccermom313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Making stock Reply with quote

This site is wonderful! I am making stock right now, unfortunately while I was reading it came to a full boil. What do I do now? Tell me more about why you do let it come to a full boil. Thanks!
soccermom313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: overboiling stock Reply with quote

I meant to say "why you do NOT let it come to a full boil". Thanks again.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: overboiling stock Reply with quote

soccermom313 wrote:
I meant to say "why you do NOT let it come to a full boil".

Letting it come to a full boil can cause the ingredients in the stock to break up and cloud the liquid. This isn't really a problem except for cosmetic or, in extreme cases, a textural difference.

There are techniques to clarify the stock involving egg whites, controlled heating, and straining through a cheese cloth lined sieve. I haven't verified techniques involving egg whites work...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Fast Cooling Reply with quote

I cooled the batch I just made by pouring it into a ZipLoc freezer bag, and immersing that in ice water, laying flat. Because the surface area is large compared to the volume, the heat is absorbed really quickly.

Unfortunately, I didn't time the cooling, so I have to estimate that since the stock went from near-simmer temperature to lukewarm in just a couple minutes (that part I know for certain), it must have been just a few minutes more for refrigerator-safe temperature. As long as the bag can handle this, it should work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the vegetables, you can put any sort of off-cuts in a stock -- i was intrigued to see Michael suggested putting peeled garlic in there - you can put garlic skin, onion skins, carrot skins and the like in there. Just don't put anything starchy in, or the stock will become cloudy. Waste not want not is the rule for making stock!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looiked at this site to find out NOT how to make chicken stock, but how to FREEZE it. Without a humungous freezer how do you freeze several batches of stock for future use? Plastic bags are unsafe, and may leak. Ice box dishes take up lots of space, and when the stock is still liquid may spill if moved around. Having ready-to-go stock makes sense, the question is how to store it. Julia Celebiler
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are plastic bags not safe?

I use quart size freeze zip lock bags (they come in "storage" and "freezer" grades)

let the stock cool to room temp, I put 2 cups stock in a one quart bag, lay them flat on a cookie sheet so they freeze rapidly, and stockpile them like a deck of cards.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also curious why plastic is unsafe...

I would have suggested plastic bags (those double seal ziplocs are pretty good) or Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers. If the stock is boiled down enough (so that the gelatin almost sets at room temperature), it won't expand much in the freezer.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: I'm with Michael... Reply with quote

I always freeze my stock in quart size double-seal ziplocs, and I rarely have a problem (maybe 1 in 20 bags will leak a bit on thawing).

I hope that this isn't a reaction to the "there are chemicals in those bags!" hype you hear so often and that we've already discussed here a couple of times before...

By the way -- here's a great trick I've hit upon that I'll share; when I find myself with lots of veggies that are going a bit limp in the crisper, I'll bring home one of those supermarket "broasted" chickens for dinner. I've found that the leftover carcasses paired with past their prime veggies make absolutely fantastic stock since they've been well-browned while roasted.
ChickenBeginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: When is it bad? Reply with quote

Hi,

I made chicken stock on Saturday and put it into the fridge. I was very proud of myself as it was my first time. Unfortunately I forgot about freezing it and it is now Wednesday morning. It was in the fridge in a measuring jug with clingfilm on top.

It had some orange stuff on top when I remembered to check it. I wasn't sure if this was normal or some sort of bacterial growth. I binned it but wanted to ask for comments.

Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: When is it bad? Reply with quote

ChickenBeginner wrote:
It had some orange stuff on top when I remembered to check it. I wasn't sure if this was normal or some sort of bacterial growth. I binned it but wanted to ask for comments.

My guess would be that it's probably not bad yet. Did the orange stuff look like it could have been a solidified fat layer or was it fuzzy? Most importantly, how quickly did you chill it down to refrigerator levels after you made the stock? In general, if you can get the temperature down to room temperature within an hour and then deposit it into your fridge, you should be safe.
Big Dog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Turkey stock Reply with quote

I am going to make turkey stock in the morning. I would like to know if the pan drippings
from the bird can be used? They have been in the fridge and seem to have gelatinized.
BTW this recipe looks really good
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: