Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Turkey or Chicken Stock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topjob66t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Two mentions about pressure cookers! Reply with quote

I have a 6 qt Presto Pressure cooker. Very old one having no bells or whistles attached. This to me is the absolute way to create stock.
I break up the turkey carcass into as small of pieces possible after picking all the white and dark meat. That meat gets placed in freezer bags.
I pour enough water to cover all the bones and when the rocker start a rockin' I reduce the heat to a gentle rock and leave it for about an hour.
Pour the contents through a colander into another pot. The bones quickly dry and are brittle to the touch. There is nothing left but bleached bones. (I once used the scraps of meat left but it was rather tasteless so I never did that again for a soup.) But I never added vegetables or garlic before! Certainly will try those ingredients next time. I cool down the liquid outside on the deck then freeze the whole pot. Then I scrape off the fat, reheat and decant into plastic square containers with lids, and refreeze.
My family thinks my soups are the best.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Two mentions about pressure cookers! Reply with quote

topjob66t wrote:
I have a 6 qt Presto Pressure cooker. Very old one having no bells or whistles attached. This to me is the absolute way to create stock. ...

I pour enough water to cover all the bones and when the rocker start a rockin' I reduce the heat to a gentle rock and leave it for about an hour.

I do the exact same thing and must say the result is excellent and preparation easy-peasey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: