Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineering and cooking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmbrabra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Engineering and cooking Reply with quote

How would you say cooking is an engineering process/product?
bootfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat transfer is the core of cooking. I'm sure that a course in heat transfer is part of every ME, ChemE and EE curriculum (and maybe others).

The type of pan/pot and its coating affects sticking, durability and heat transfer. Those are ME and materials engineering.

Delivering and controlling heat to the stove via gas or electric includes fluid/gas or electric power transfer. Those are ME or EE.

The changes that take place in the food (e.g. breakdown of sugars) are chemical processes that are being controlled, so those are ChemE.

Buying the right ingredients, and managing when to cook the entree and the side dishes so that they finish at the same time, are inventory management and production control, so those are IE.

If constructing a quality firepit for cooking, concerns arise such as materials, foundation, drainage, etc. Those are CE.
Lyceme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootfan wrote:
Heat transfer is the core of cooking. I'm sure that a course in heat transfer is part of every ME, ChemE and EE curriculum (and maybe others).

The type of pan/pot and its coating affects sticking, durability and heat transfer. Those are ME and materials engineering.

Delivering and controlling heat to the stove via gas or electric includes fluid/gas or electric power transfer. Those are ME or EE.

The changes that take place in the food (e.g. breakdown of sugars) are chemical processes that are being controlled, so those are ChemE.

Buying the right ingredients, and managing when to cook the entree and the side dishes so that they finish at the same time, are inventory management and production control, so those are IE.

If constructing a quality firepit for cooking, concerns arise such as materials, foundation, drainage, etc. Those are CE.

Wow, I love the way you detailed it! My dad is a CE and he is a good cook. Do most engineers good cooks too? hehe. I hope so! That would totally awesome!
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think there might a parallel analogy when it comes to cooking and being an engineer. But not in all areas of it, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum